SAMOAns in Portland for Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAMOAns in Portland for Sunday

If anyone who's still in Portland for Day 2 of the ABFM reads this before Sunday afternoon, I recommend you retrace Friday's route on your way home. I decided to run Hwy 411 from Longview up through Vader on the west side of I-5 and encountered a stretch of coarse gravel (road under construction) north of Kelso. If that wasn't bad enough, the Vader-Winlock Road is closed two miles north of Vader. I had to cross I-5 to Toledo and pick up Friday's route to make it home.

Dan
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Originally posted by BIGSHOT View Post
    If anyone who's still in Portland for Day 2 of the ABFM reads this before Sunday afternoon, I recommend you retrace Friday's route on your way home. I decided to run Hwy 411 from Longview up through Vader on the west side of I-5 and encountered a stretch of coarse gravel (road under construction) north of Kelso. If that wasn't bad enough, the Vader-Winlock Road is closed two miles north of Vader. I had to cross I-5 to Toledo and pick up Friday's route to make it home.

Dan
    Sorry you had a tough go at it Dan, we decided to do the I 5 thing and got home in about 2 1/2 hours, boring all be it, but pretty quick.
    It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Well, l I just got back from Portland and I can only say that if you guys left late Sat. you were ahead of the game. It was so wet today it made Sat. look like a spring shower. Let's say we were all avoiding the very large puddles on I-5 like the plague.

Just want to say that it was a great show anyway and it was real nice meeting you guys and making new Mini friends! Oh Dan, congrats on your award as you did deserve it!!

Cheers!!

Comment

Mark Adler ( First place in class at Portland, MG TF,again ) and I also retraced the southern part of the route to Portland to get home. Hwy 30 to Longview then North on 411. A patch of gravel at the Castle rock intersection sent us West on to an unknown road. What the heck. The road dead ended after a few miles but a right turn onto a smaller road brought us back to 411 North of the gravel. We went through Vader and instead of trying the Winlock Vader road we went straight onto 506.

This took us to Wildwood and then to the car show in Curtis, Washington. Mark got first place there too.

Had to wait for the local commuter train.

Then on to Chelais and I'm sorry to say I-5 home. Made it here by about 3:30. These roads came very close to some we took during last falls excellent run out of Olympia organized by James aka Olytrains. I think I see next years route to Portland!

Don

Comment

That trip would have been determined by me staying for breakfast or not but I see you guys had a great trip back. We had a hydroplaning, boring and gray day drive back, but safe.

Does anyone know what happened to the Peter, Tim and Oly group that were following us when we turned onto I-5 north?

Peter, how did your Mini drive back after the clutch arm was sorted?

Comment

it was just me and peter on the way back. we took a straight shot on I5. no real problems at all, other then the downpour of rain and puddles. Peter's car had no problems other then a minor electrical issue that can be sorted out later.
            Last edited by timc; 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Purple Mini

This may not be related to this weekends trip but.........Tim, our search for a purple Mini may be over.
              fake mini.jpg

Or did my daughter just show me how to photobucket my Mini into a Purple car for Nora?!?!
              Don't know if I'd really like one THAT Purple.
              Thanks again for your help this weekend, I definitely owe you one.
              It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

here is a link to a video that shows the blue mini racing at PIR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6YSw6a0S5w

Comment

Working...
                X