Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Foliage Drive

Hi everyone,
    It's been such a beautiful fall I thought it would be nice to get out for a drive in the country. I've been out exploring the back roads of Southwest Washington the last several days and, with the help of my wife Karen, have mapped out a route that should be lots of fun. The drive takes about 2 1/2 hours and is about 85 Mini miles (your mileage may vary). Highlights include twisty roads through the woods and valleys of Thurston, Lewis, and Grays Harbor counties; a scenic view of South Puget Sound; and a stop at the state capitol. We will end the drive at the Fish Brewing Company's Fishbowl brew pub.
    Meet at 11:00 A.M. on Sunday, November 2nd at the Pilot Travel Center just off I-5, at exit 99 (on the east side of the freeway). If you get delayed by the Sunday morning rush on I-5 or realize you have forgotten to set your clock back to Standard Time, you can call me on my cell at: 360-280-0248.
    I hope to see lots of Minis on the 2nd .
    Jim

I like to come. but have an appointment in the
    evening in Seattle arround 7 pm, we should be done by then with the drive i think???
    peter

Comment

Peter,
      There should be plenty of time to do the drive and have lunch before you have to head north. When I timed the drive it took about 2 1/2 hours not counting the stop to check out the view.
      Jim

Comment

This sounds like fun! Pencil us in.
        Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
        1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Is the lunch stop 21 and over? I have two small kids to think about, otherwise it sounds fun.
          "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
          ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
          '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
          '60 Morris Van - Marvan
          '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

James,
            I checked today with the Fishbowl brewpub and it seems that they do require patrons to 21 or over. Sorry I didn't think of that before planning the drive.
            Jim

Comment

Is there a fast food joint close by?
              '60 Morris Van - Marvan

Comment

James,
                There is a MacDonalds and Jack-in the-Box within a few blocks.
                Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim,
                  We are planning to attend
                  '60 Morris Van - Marvan

Comment

I m coming too.
                    Should we meet somewhere near tacoma,
                    I take the tacoma boat off the island
                    perhaps catching the 8.50 am boat
                    could meet near tacoma close to freeway about9.3o- 1o.oo
                    peter

Comment

Peter,
                      Sorry you can't make the drive. We're going rain or shine. This might be the last chance of the season to see any colorful Fall foliage. Hey, there are lots of very twisty roads so it will be lots of fun anyway.
                      Jim

Comment

Got brakes? We finally do. James, Ruby, Marian and Don will be there. Thanks Jim.

Comment

That's great. See you there.
                          Jim

Comment

A little soggy (ok, a lot soggy) at times, but a really nice route with great scenery. Kudos to Jim and Karin for the planning. Lesson learned; wet leaves at the apex of a turn will get one's attention.

Comment

Yep, The best roads ever, we've got to do it again. Jim and Karen published a simple list of the roads we traveled that will make recreating all or parts of the trip possible.It was very cool to see the leaves boil around Jim's car as he'd blast through them! An added plus was getting to hang out with James' kids at the Capitol and lunch. Don

Comment

Working...
                              X