Skamokawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skamokawa

Anyone have any info on this year's Skamokawa? I had a great time at the 2011 last year!

Don

You might have been in a coma for a couple of years, Don. I think last year's event was the 2013.

This year's Rods and Reels Rod Run -- the 2014 -- will be held May 31 at the Skamokawa Fairgrounds. Pre-entry costs $25, and includes a T-shirt, meal ticket and a goodie bag. Day-of-show registration (8-11:30 am) costs the same, but doesn't include the shirt or bag.

A visit to Wahkiakum County gives you an opportunity to not only drive through some beautiful Columbia River countryside, but also to see Washington's only covered bridge (right there on Covered Bridge Road) and take a ride on a tiny ferry to Oregon (Puget Island to Westport, Ore.).

I thought I was breaking new ground for the club when I brought this one up at the April meeting and encountered little interest. I had no idea you'd been to a past R&RRR. I've already sent in my entry form for this year's show (the 2014).

Follow the link for forms and more info.

Dan
    Last edited by BIGSHOT; 06-01-2014, 09:00 AM.
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Our room is booked!

Don

Comment

Sittign here teaching a lifeguarding class wishing I was on some kind of mini run!
        Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Dave, have you ever read your sig line?

Anyway, regarding the Skamokawa show and the area, I've learned that locals pronounce it "Ska-MOCK-away." It's a beautiful corner of our state, perched on the Columbia River and feathered with green forests. I only had an afternoon to explore, but Wahkiakum County seems to be laced with 50- and 55-mph roads that twist through all those trees. People here were very friendly, and most appreciative of the Minis.

This was a serious hot rod show, though, and more than 300 cars turned out. The "Foreign Car or Truck" class (they must have known I was coming) might have had six entrants. Two of 'em were Minis.

Two Minis in a sea of Chevys and Fords and Mopars -- and Trucks with tires that crush other cars in cow-town arenas.

Still, the crowds were interested in the LBCs, and captivated by the Mini Ambassador. Don talked a full double-handful of onlookers into his driver's seat.

Pancake breakfast at the Methodist Church, coffee and maple bars at the registration desk, door prizes, raffles, trout pond for the kids, and all the flame paint jobs and chrome we could hope for. It was a great, if long, day.

Skamokawa could be a candidate for a waypoint on one of those Mini runs Dave's longing for. It isn't far from the Long Beach area and could be part of an ocean loop. We should talk about it.

Dan
          Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

I have a couple of other photos from the trip. I found out about the Skamokawa show while web-searching for this bridge. It's Washington's only public covered bridge, and it's only about 10 miles from town on 55-mph ups and downs and lefts and rights. It's maybe a quarter-mile from Highway 4, so most traffic doesn't even see it.

Don and Marian have ridden this 12-car (or 16-Mini) ferry in years past, but it was new to me when I turned off 4 at Cathlamet and took the bridge to Puget Island. Five bucks got me a quick ride across the Columbia to Westport, Ore., and the ferry crew wanted to know all about the pickup. At Westport, I promptly U-turned into the line for the ride back (I told the ticket guy I was a nut for boat rides). You'll notice this was practically an all-pickup cruise.

Dan
            Dan

Comment

The sun got to me during the awards presentation so I had to bug out. How'ed we do in class V (foreign car) Dan?

Great bit of Washington State in my humble opinion! Covered bridge.

A river runs through it.

Some great drives!

Looking forward to next year.

Don

Comment

Marian and I are heading for the ocean beaches this weekend and will use this joint..

http://www.skamokawaresort.com/

..for an overnight stopover. They very much remembered the Minis when I called.

Ninety bucks for a view room thank you very much. Love it!

Don

Comment

Working...
                X