Mini Meet West 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Meet West 2011

Planning for the trip to Mini Meet West at Lake Tahoe is already beginning. The event is scheduled for June 22, 23 and 24, and getting there and back will probably take three days in each direction. Along the way, we'll comfortably cruise some beautiful mountain and high-desert highways, stop for photos and to enjoy some roadside attractions (large balls of string and such), and we'll avoid freeways whenever possible. Several members have already expressed an interest. Can I get you to consider joining us and flying the SAMOA flag at Mini Meet?

I was visiting the Mini Meet 2011 website tonight (getting ready to register), and I took a look at the site's Sponsorship page. I don't know how that worked out, but I got a real blast from the past. The guys from MOASF have illustrated the page with a photo from the parking lot at Mini Meet West Meets East 2004 in Rockford, Ill. On the left is Mike Smith from the Victoria mini club. I'm on the right, and through the window of Mike's yellow-over-blue VTEC car is my old blue car, just to the left of Dion what's-his-name.

It sounds corny, I know, but a lot of Mini Meet memories kind of flooded back. The memories aren't only about being in a parking lot and trading stories with Mini owners from all over. They aren't only about the meet events -- the concours, autocrosses and rallyes. They aren't even about those great late-night, beer-in-hand tech sessions where Don Dixon tells you what he wants to be when he grows up. They're mostly about seeing the country from your Mini's driver's seat. Crossing 9,000-foot mountain passes forested with pines. Watching the foggy, early-morning vapor trails roll off the car driving ahead of you. And turning on small-town America to the beauty of the LBC. Once in a while, you're asking the convenience store manager if it's OK to use her parking lot to patch your gas tank, but that's a Mini Meet memory too.

This is my "Band of Brothers" speech. You know you can't have more fun than being with a bunch of other Mini owners and driving your Mini from way over here to way over there. Think about Lake Tahoe in June. Think about making some of your own Mini Meet memories.

I think I'm gettin' all sweaty. Maybe I'll think about washing it off in Lake Tahoe. That'd be a Mini Meet memory.

Dan

Last edited by BIGSHOT; 03-14-2011, 10:46 PM.
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

I hear Jamie's going to join us! Get ready for photography like this:

Don

Comment

that is such a fabulous picture!! amazing! i might try to make it, but would have to trailer it so that family could come, or even forget the mini and just camper trailer it so the family could come and make a real cheap vacation out of it. hmmmm. . . . gotta start working the "boss" over and see what she thinks.
      Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

From our brief discussions yesterday, it sounds as though people are looking for a little more adventure on the trip to and from Mini Meet. How does this sound?

Day 1. Here to The Dalles via Chinook Pass and Maryhill.
        Day 2. To Klamath Falls, including a drive up Newbury Crater south of Bend and a drive around Crater Lake.
        Day 3. To Tahoe, with cruises through Lava Beds National Monument and Lassen Volcanic National Park.
        Day 4, 5 and 6 at Mini Meet.
        Day 7. Tahoe to Arcata, or maybe Eureka, Calif., via Redding.
        Day 8. Start with a logging-camp breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse in Samoa, then head north to Bandon, Ore., with a side trip or two in Redwood National Park.
        Day 9. To Long Beach, Wash.
        Day 10. Back to Seattle.

It means an extra day, but the opportunity to visit the little town (former town, really) of Samoa is too good to pass up. The drive from Tahoe to the ocean is about 360 miles, but we'll take it easy, and the remaining days are fairly leisurely.

What do you think?

Dan
        Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Now you're talkin' Dan. I'm in. The extra day is worth it with the coast drive included. More camping oppourtunities for the campers. Moist scenery. More curves.

Don

Can we get spacered in Samoa?

Comment

I like the suggested route so count me and Mrs. Beavan's Mini (white '79 Austin Mini 1000) in. Where in the Tahoe area would be staying? Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,
              There are two threads that pertain to MMW. This one seems to be about the trip logistics and the other is about the actual event, the split works for me.The other thread has info about the host hotel.

Don

Comment

I just mapped dan's suggested route and it sounds fantastic. The best fish taco stand in the world happens to be in Bend,OR and I was just in the Redwood's yesterday and there are some mighty fine roads just waiting to be terrorized by mini's.

Comment

Mmw2011

I like the route been on both, great roads/ sightings/ small towns.
                  on the way back close to Eureka and Samoa is
                  Ft Bragg, where is the famous brewery " North Coast Brewery"
                  make sure we swing by there.
                  peter

Comment

Peter,
                    I'll see your Fort Bragg and raise you a ( forty mile trip South to ) Boonville, California, home of the Anderson Valley Brewing Company. Their Hop Ottin' IPA is stellar!
                    Both brewerys are South of our route and would add a bit much to that first day dash to the Pacific. Just sayin'.

Don

Comment

Don, your e right,
                      I was dreaming, was thinking we taking about the same route back, as
                      we did on our MMW 2005 down to San Ramon, we spent the night in
                      Ft Bragg and went to the North Coast Brewery. never mind.

peter

Comment

OK, Boonville's too far (about 170 miles) and Fort Bragg's too far (about 130 miles), but how about an evening drive out to Ferndale, about 20 miles south of Eureka? Lots of gingerbread on the houses and businesses and a very cool Victorian cemetery (below) that climbs the hill outside of town.

For sure, we'll pause for a look at this monument (below) that's just outside Gold Beach.

Hey, Ed's thinking outside the brick. He's suggesting we turn our trip around and drive the "water route" first. Leave on Saturday and spend four days along the coast to Mini Meet, then three days back on the "desert route." The benefit is we get home on Monday instead of Tuesday, sparing everyone a weekday of vacation. All the stops would be the same.

It's OK with me. How about you?

Dan
                        Last edited by BIGSHOT; 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM.
                        Dan

Comment

Probably going...

I've got the time off, and last year was a blast! hope to join the Mini train down to Tahoe.
                          cheers!

Greg

Comment

I m fine with Ed s idea down on 101 and back through the desert

peter

Comment

As long as we get to see Sasquatch, we're good!
                              It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Working...
                              X