Ball Joint Puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Joint Puller

OK guys I need a Ball Joint Puller, but don't want to borrow a tool I WILL need again, which is the best all round type for the Minis. I've seen the fork type, the bolt lever type and some funky arm puller type of thing. What is the best for the buck??!?!?
    Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
    It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Originally posted by 72 Norty View Post
    OK guys I need a Ball Joint Puller, but don't want to borrow a tool I WILL need again, which is the best all round type for the Minis. I've seen the fork type, the bolt lever type and some funky arm puller type of thing. What is the best for the buck??!?!?
    Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
    lever type.

i have a lazer brand one and works great...

Comment

Here's the type to look for...and get a good one. You may have to invest in a proper sized socket, too. The latest versions I've had all take a metric socket.

http://www.minimania.com/web/SUBTYPE..._Inventory.cfm
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I can safely say I've tested them all, and I can vouch for the lever type.

It comes in a large and a small. Size does matter, and it's worth the cost to get the larger for easier leverage. The smaller, cheaper lever works too, but more effort involved.
        Always British Racing Green

Comment

Friggin Ball Joints!!!

Just picked up a multi fork ball joint puller kit (from Sears) and it relies totally on the amount of force you exert, ergo you break, or rip shyte! So I will be returning that one, and searching for a lever type........hence the next question,...where do I get one and pick it up then and there? Not in Kansas, or California, but here on the Peninsula (Bremerton area). Napa, West Bay, Schucks, ETC.
          Any suggestions are (once again) appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

i bought mine here.

ebay linky

Comment

Puller

So Tim which of the 4 on the top of that Ebay page do you recommend. I'm guessing like Toby said, get the larger one. It was 30 GBPs I think.

Comment

How about NAPA part no.BK7759096? $26
                Don

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...oint+Separator

Comment

Puller of Balls, er I mean Ball Joints!

Don, I am getting the local NAPA to order one from another one of their stores without having to pay first, so I can check it out for quality ETC.
                  Yeah $26, opposed to $47 plus shipping and handling from the UK next week sometime?!?! I just hope it's a reasonably good tool, for the price.

Comment

A couple dozen uses on Minis, TR3s, and 95 Impala SSs without catastrophe. I'd worry over a tool from JC Schucks but I think NAPA has decent stuff and you get to deal with a local shop.
                    Don

Comment

Ball joint Puller.

The lever type puller came in at NAPA and may not have been the largest of these, but worked with an almost frightening "SNAP" when the lower arm and the top arm gave way. Now the hub ball joints and the wheel bearings are in question.
                      Should the ball joints be replaced, reworked, or what?
                      And what of the wheel bearings, I'm guessing they should not be loose and giggling around inside their home.
                      I'll try to get pix on later.
                      Thanks for all the good word!

Comment

Mini Repairs

Bearings,.....Mini Repairs 016.JPG
                        All repair work requires at least one beer.Mini Repairs 018.JPG
                        Ball joints and rusty limey iron...Mini Repairs 015.JPG
                        If the ball joints function OK is it necessary to replace?
                        The bearings have to be shot.....they move laterally, pivot a bit, just not a good fit by the seems of it.

Comment

Bearings and ball joints are easy to check...before the hub is loosened and removed.
                          The ball pin for the ball joint should not be easy to move. There should be a little drag. May be able to remove shims to tighten up, but may need to replace. Bottom one harder to diagnose out of the car because of the spring in it.

Hard to check wheel bearings as you now have them unless you can see signs of the outer races moving around.
                          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Ball joints are inexpensive. There is a great installation video at Mini Mania under part no. GSJ166/MS.
                            Don

Comment

I've used a Power Steering pully puller (say that fast 3 times) 27 bucks at shmucks.
                              http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3497

Comment

Working...
                              X