No horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No horn

The horn in my '67 Austin MKII quit working some time ago and I finally got around to trying to find out why last night. The fuse is okay and the horn itself seems to be fine as it emits noice when I hooked 12 volts up to it which leaves wiring and the horn switch. I suspect the horn switch but I am not sure a replacement is available. The car seems to have a later steering column from a Morris Mini as the ignition is on the column and the turn signal/dimmer/horn is on a stalk on the right side of the column (it's RHD) plus the center pad thing had a big "M" on it. I saw a switch on MiniMania but it was $105.00 and I am not even sure it is the right application!!
    Any ideas?
    I thought about getting some of those dual airhorns, is there a way to convert to having the horn switch in the center of the steering wheel if the steering wheel is not set up that way originally?

As always, all of your advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Craig,
    There may be a relay in your horn circuit.
    Your horn button supplies a low current 12V to the coil of the relay. The relay coil closes a contact that supplies a higher current 12V ( via larger wires ) to the horn. I'd look there for your problem.
    Don

Comment

The wiring diagram for my year mini doesn't seem to show a relay in the circuit. There is a relay on the fenderwell though, I will see if I can trace the wiring.
      Thanks,
      Craig

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 1976 1000. tested all that you have everthing worked fine. About ready to replace the horn thiniking it had given up when I noticed the interior light was out. I had no idea they were related but as soon as I replaced the bulb the horn started working again. Stange yes, but these cars do have the famous Lucas electrics.

Before you rip into your car check your interior light

Comment

I cannot seem to find a relay tied into the horn. Any idea where it might be? The relay on the fenderwell was for the turn signal flasher.

I tried to unplug the turn signal stalk switch but the plug would not come apart. I didn't want to break any wires, what is the trick to get them apart? I want to test the switch.

I have never had an interior light, it is missing, unless you are talking about the one on the underside of the rearview mirror. I don't think that ever worked either. I can check it though.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

This may not be of any value but I thought I should mention it. A MkII Mini and most cars made before the 1980's or maybe later actuate the horn by connecting the horn to ground at the horn push button.

The +12V line is connected to the horn with a purple wire. On the other side a purple/black wire goes to the horn push button and the other side of the horn bush button goes to ground. There is a circular contact on steering column that carries the ground to the push button but it's really hard to describe in text.

Hope this helps.

Kelley
            If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but when I had the switch off I did see something that looked like the ground for the switch.

I see the purple wires, I am fairly certain it is the switch. I had a Ford Cortina for a long time and it had the end of the turn signal horn button thing and it failed and I could not find a replacement.

Does anyone know if the plug for the wiring harness should just pull apart? Looks like it used to have a clip to hold it together, it doesn't seem to want to come apart.

Craig

Comment

I've also got the same problem with my horn. (It's a 1975 Candadian 1000.) My stalk is post- little green blinker light, and pre- dual stalk. When the base of my stalk broke off at the bakalite ring, I'd effectively disabled my ability to signal a turn. (Although I could still honk the horn if I held the whole thing together while driving.) I bought a new stalk, and now have a new problem. Just like you, my horns work when fed juice directly, and I've narrowed it down to the very area Kelley mentioned. As the stalk is pushed onto the ground ring, nothing happens. Mind you, my situation just got more complicated since now my turn signal function has failed as well. My fuses are fine, and the stalk is new, so what gives?

Oh and the multi-pin plug receptacle on mine disconnected just fine when I got a grip on both parts and wiggled it aggressively.
                Always British Racing Green

Comment

Toby,
                  Good to here from you. But, I thought in Indiana if you wanted to turn....you just stuck your arm out the window.....and if you want to honk the horn....well....you just wave with less fingers You don't even need a stalk.
                  "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
                  ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
                  '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
                  '60 Morris Van - Marvan
                  '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Hi Toby,

Where did you get your turn signal/horn stalk?

I will have to get more agressive with my wiring connector I guess.

I want a regular horn button, one in the center of the steering wheel like God intended.

Craig

Comment

My 77 Canadian spec had no horn and it ended up being the "pin" in the end of the blinker stalk. I cut the head off of a finishing nail, pushed it into the cap and it has worked ever since. The nail just pushes down between two contacts and shorts between them to complete circuit.

Oz

Comment

I got my "turn signal column switch, MK2" from Seven Enterprises (part number 39384) for $100 plus shipping.

As far as switching over to a center horn push setup, you're probably going to have to go either very early or very late model. MK1 Austin and Morris had very stylish logo horn pushes "where God intended", and also had a neat little green flasher on the end of the tun signal stalk. They do tend to be hard to find in good condition, though, and somewhat more expensive.

I've put a smaller steering wheel on my Mini (a wannabe Mountney type) that has a solid base in the center. In other words, if I intended to install a horn button in the center, I'd have to drill a hole somewhere for the wiring. This is probably the case with many steering wheels.

Hope this helps!

Comment

So the contact is in the end of the turn signal stalk where you push on it? I guess I had not paused to consider this but it makes sense.

How does that come apart as I am thinking based on what has been shared that is the likely culprit.

Once it comes apart will it go back together?

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

If yours is like mine, it's a piece of cake to open (and close) up.

Simply pop out the rounded cap that's fitted in the end of the stalk. (A good blade along the seam should fit, but don't slice!) Once the cap is out, and you've taken a good look and fiddled with what's inside, it all becomes very clear how it all works. However, this isn't a guarantee that it will become clear as to why it ISN'T working!

As for putting it back together... like the manual says: assembly is the reverse of disassambly.
                            Last edited by Toby; 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM. Reason: Disfunctional Italics

Comment

Thanks Toby,

I was thinking that might be the way but didn't want to destroy it in the process.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X