MK1 door hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK1 door hinges

I've come to find that the door hinges on my 63 and the spares in a box'o'parts are both made of brass. Was this the metal used originally?
    Don

I think they started out brass and then the steel hinges were slowly introduced. Not sure of the years though.

Kelley
    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

seems like brass would be great for corrosion and lousy for torsion and strength. comments?
      Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Steel is stronger than brass but for a light door like a MkI or II Mini brass is plenty strong and you necessarily have to put a bush in the hinge. Steel however is a lot cheaper than brass. Once you suspect that you will need hundreds-of -thousands making them out of steel saves a lot of money. Steel is easier to thread as well.

Cheers,

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I re-bushed the hinges on the 63 yesterday. First I shimmed the door into position.

Then the old pin was driven out and a 3/8" hole was drilled. I used a 12" long bit for the bottom hinge to allow clearance between the drill motor and door.

A 3 piece 3/8" O.D. x 1/4" I.D. bushing was then driven into the hole followed by a stock hinge pin. The hinge pin's knurled end expanded the bushing slightly to lock the bushing in place.

A bit crude I know but the door sure opens and closes nicely now!

Don

Comment

Way to go, Don, and thanks for the brief how-to. This site could use more illustrated instruction (I wish I'd done some of them myself).

Dan
            Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Credit also must go to Sparticus, a feline neighbor of ours. He supervised the whole operation and can be seen in the extreme lower left of photo no.1.

Don

Comment

i didn't see any kind of mechanic libational lubrication. jeese. what kind of operation are you running.

really though, nice front yard job!!
                Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Libation? Lubrication? Both covered in the contents of the ex cookie sheet, see photo one.
                  Don

Comment

Turns out that the pins knurled end was not enough to lock the bushings in place. I'll try .001 oversized bushings pressed in place and post results.
                    Don

Comment

Working...
                    X