Retrofitting rear popout windows on MkV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofitting rear popout windows on MkV

I'm looking to install the pop-out rear windows from a MKIII ('73) mini into my MKV ('89) mini.

Is this easy/possible?

My dad will be flying here with the pop-out windows from his parts car (which is in WI). Do I need any additional parts outside of the windows, seals and hinges?
    British eyes... only

My Neo-Classic came with pop outs I think they were stock, I am not really keen on the two smallish hinge.

I remember looking at a Mk III's pop-outs and I think they are smaller than those on the Mk IV and Mk V, I could be wrong though. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out with the windows in hand.
    Skip

Comment

Mk III on used the same sized windows. Should just be a bolt in process; however, I've not done the conversion, so I can't say for certain. I believe this has been asked and answered some time in the past on the Mini Mania Forum. Use the back Search feature to see if you can find the old thread...or start a new one.
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Chuck, are the Mk III hinges the piano type hinges or the twin wimpy hinges that the Mk IV and later had?

I've always been rather leery of a pop-out popping off with the hinges that I have. I think that I read on the Mini Mania board one time where some one's Neo-Classic Pop-Out threw itself off the Mini at speed, now I worry about such things... maybe I'm just paranoid?
        Skip

Comment

English Mk I, early South African, all Australian and others used the piano hinge. Mk II English was the same size as the Mk I but when to a different mounting (no piano hinge) and window surround. (Actually started late in English Mk I time, but you'll not find many!) Mk III on were bigger and used the same hinge for the duration, as far as I know. As long as they are in good shape, they don't fall out!
          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Working...
          X