nikki carbs and van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nikki carbs and van

explored the van and paperwork a little more this afternoon. Some expected rust, not too bad. no big surprises... yet!

According to paperwork engine is 998 from seven enterprises purchased 1986? Carb is downdraught nikki on nikki manifold. Anyone with experience with these? where can you find an air filter to fit? Was running with no filter, just empty can.... actually seems to run pretty well. No problem 65 mph on highway, easy starting, no smoke etc.

thoughts?

thanks!

cliff
    seattle wa

67 austin cooper s
    67 morris van
    72 2002 tii
    86 jeep cj-7
    -cliff

Seattle WA 98103

1967 Austin Cooper S
    1967 Morris Mini Disco-Van
    1972 2002 Tii "LIMONE"
    2012 BINI Countryman S All4

2013 Ducati Multistrada S
    1967 Triumph Bonneville
    1981 R80 G/S PD

There's a response to your posting on the Mini Mania Forum.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Cliff,

Chances are that the engine/carb you have in the Van doesn't have more than 5000 miles on it maybe significantly less. Don had 4 running cars and split his time between them and as far as I know only silver car went on road trips although others my know more.

The Seven engine, built in 1986, would have been shipped here from the East Coast. It could have taken years for it to be installed since Don worked alone in his spare time and tended to collect things with a view to use them in the future. Chances are the engine and carb needs very little and should be good to go for quite a few miles. I would check all the external rubber parts and change the oil a couple of times to clean things out.

The best way to find an air filter to fit the filter box, assuming you don't have one of the chrome style shown in the MM thread, is to take the box down to an auto parts store and try a bunch. Strangely, I had to do exactly the same thing recently for my 1980 Chevy pickup. We eventually found the correct filter in the manuals but it was for a different engine and was only about 1/16" different in diameter from the one found by trial and error.

If you have one of the chrome filters as in the MM thread, it just has a piece of foam and maybe a screen in it.

Hope this helps.

Kelley
      If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Didn't club member Toby May run a Nikki on his 998? If anyone remembers, we can put you in touch with him.

Comment

Originally posted by mascher View Post
          Cliff,

Chances are that the engine/carb you have in the Van doesn't have more than 5000 miles on it maybe significantly less. Don had 4 running cars and split his time between them and as far as I know only silver car went on road trips although others my know more.

The Seven engine, built in 1986, would have been shipped here from the East Coast. It could have taken years for it to be installed since Don worked alone in his spare time and tended to collect things with a view to use them in the future. Chances are the engine and carb needs very little and should be good to go for quite a few miles. I would check all the external rubber parts and change the oil a couple of times to clean things out.

The best way to find an air filter to fit the filter box, assuming you don't have one of the chrome style shown in the MM thread, is to take the box down to an auto parts store and try a bunch. Strangely, I had to do exactly the same thing recently for my 1980 Chevy pickup. We eventually found the correct filter in the manuals but it was for a different engine and was only about 1/16" different in diameter from the one found by trial and error.

If you have one of the chrome filters as in the MM thread, it just has a piece of foam and maybe a screen in it.

Hope this helps.

Kelley

thanks. think you are probably right about time of installing engine. there is a cryptic note that looks like it was put in 1998- i assumed it was probably incorrect! does have the chrome cannister like pic in MM thread, but nothing in it. the cannister sits quite high, nearly touching the bonnet. guess i have some more poking around to do this weekend. looking forward to driving it :-)

cliff
          -cliff

Seattle WA 98103

1967 Austin Cooper S
          1972 2002 Tii "LIMONE"

1967 Triumph Bonneville
          1981 R80 G/S PD

Comment

Don ran a business rewinding electric heaters and installing water heaters and related equipment. I think 1998 might me close to the time he cut back to working half time.

The chrome air filter canister is really completely empty? Not even a bit of foam around the inside? I guess it's possible that it takes a paper filter but I've never seen anything like that. Of course, I haven't seen very many.

Cheers,

Kelley
            If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

That looks like a conversion kit that Mini Mani sold, and, from memory, is used a filter that had, as Kelley indicated, a layer of foam that fit between the outer screen and an inner screen -- not very thick.
              You could try MM to see if they still have the filter. You won't be able to buy just the foam, however.

Comment

Don had wrapped a piece of fiberglass insulation cloth around the outside and secured with a rubber band- decomposing at this point. Not much luck with Datsun filters either- they are too large of a diameter and too thick. For time being, will look for some open cell foam at ACE to fit a band around periphery inside of the cannister.

cliff
                -cliff

Seattle WA 98103

1967 Austin Cooper S
                1972 2002 Tii "LIMONE"

1967 Triumph Bonneville
                1981 R80 G/S PD

Comment

Working...