engine stabilizers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine stabilizers?

Since I'm dropping a rod-change gearbox into what used to be a remote gearbox car, I need to add at least an upper and lower engine stabilizer, right?

Do any of you have any recommendations for which stabilizers I should get? Mini Mania is having a 17% off sale today, so I thought about making a purchase with a gift certificate I have. I was thinking this kit might do the trick, but maybe you all have a different recommendation.

Thanks!

Chad,
    I find that a good set off standard engine mounts and some polly bushings for the standard "dog bone" do fine for street cars. If you plan on some agressive shifting or just feel like it would be cool to have the extra stabolisers. Then go for the kit. But I don't think you'll need it.
    "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
    ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
    '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
    '60 Morris Van - Marvan
    '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Chad, if you mean MSSK1, that's the one I'd use.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

James, would my car have the "dogbone" you're talking about if it was originally a remote-shift car?

Jerry, yes, I believe part # MSSK1 (lower stabilizer) is included in the kit I mentioned, along with # MSSK1300/LHD (upper stabilizer) and a couple new motor mounts. Do you not use the upper stabilizer on your car?

Comment

Chad,
          Sorry, the "dog bone" is just mini talk for the stock right side engine support from the block to the firewall. All minis should have one.
          "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
          ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
          '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
          '60 Morris Van - Marvan
          '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

If you had been at the meeting last night you would have heard an interesting discussion on this topic!

Here's my take. If you have no concern for extra noise and the inconvenience of having the upper stabilizer bar on the radiator side of the engine (often called the UES or Ultimate Engine Stabilzer), use that one. It does a very good job of stabilizing the engine. This works espeically well if you are going to track the car or run autocrosses...a lot.
            Me? I hate the things -- probably because everytime I need to work on that side of the engine on someone's car one of those darn things is in the way!

I prefer to go with the regular dog bone rubber bushings and add one or the other of the two, aftermarket, lower bars. Jerry Miller is running the radiator side one and I've run them on either side (or both for more powerful engines). Run rubber bushing is the lower one(s), too. If that's not enough, upgrade to poly bushing (start with the Ward Barbour ones -- on the Mini Mania site under part numbers beginning with WB -- and if you need even more, use the much less forgiving poly ones you'll find most anywhere.
            The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Yeah Chad, We were talking about you. Don

Comment

I wish I could've made it to the meeting. I totally forgot about it! Thanks for discussing the topic.

It sounds like I should just start by using the lower stabilizer and see if I'm satisfied. Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Comment

Working...
                X