timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing question

is there anyone out there that can help me with the timing of my car? its a 1275. the motor is out of the car and up on a bench so its easy to work with.
    I cant get the stupid thing timed right and i just dont know what im doing wrong. im up in bothell and anyones input would be much appreciated.
    I have the cylinder at TDC and i have read the book on it a few times just seems to be off a bit.

Leon C
    [email protected] or cell 425-785-4981

Leon, Are you trying to start the motor while it's on the bench?? Be sure that the number one (radiator end)piston is at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke, not the exhaust stroke. There are two ways to find the compression stroke. If the valve cover is off see that both valves for that cylinder are closed. You can also put your thumb over the sparkplug hole as you crank the motor. When your thumb gets pushed off the hole the piston is coming up on TDC.
    Don

Comment

no im just trying to get the motor as done as possible out of the car. then put the engine back into the car.
      ill try what you said, i think i have tried that already but might not have. thanks for the help.

Comment

i made a post a week or so back. i tried again to time the motor and this is the problem im having.

The problem appears to be with the cam shaft. Setting the camshaft key way at the 2 o'clock position, as required by the manual, has the #1 cylinder valves transitioning between the exhaust and inlet valve operation. The #4 cylinder valves do not move in this position. If the system is assembled in this condition the #1 TDC occurs when the crankshaft keyway is at the 8 o'clock position.

Comment

Leon,
          I'm almost sure that your dist. drive gear has been installed incorrectly. (sounds like 180 deg. out). Follow the directions for removing and reinstalling the dist. drive gear. Remember not to test fit the dist. with out having the retainer IN! the drive gear can most deffinently fall into the transmition if you are not carfull. If you are not comfortable doing it .....get some help from some one who has done it befor.
          "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
          ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
          '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
          '60 Morris Van - Marvan
          '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

By retainer do you mean the two bolt flange that the distributor bolts to? A 12A1136 (see Mini Mania catalog)? Don

Comment

yes,
              that holds the drive gear in place agenst the back of the engine block. If the drive gear slips forward, the back of the gear falls out of its pocket and can slip down into the trans.
              "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
              ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
              '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
              '60 Morris Van - Marvan
              '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Working...
              X