Engine identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine identity

A friend gave me a Mini engine today, missing a few pieces. At least it looks like a Mini engine.

How can I tell how old it is and what it's displacement is?

Thanks,

Craig

What's the engine number tag read?
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I don't remember seeing a tag but then again I did not look that closely. I will check it out this evening and advise.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

On the Mini Mania site under Articles/Technical Information/General there is a big Mini Identification article. It includes a section on engine identification.

http://www.minimania.com/ArticleV.cfm?DisplayID=1801
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I could not find a tag or easily identifiable engine stamping but followed the MiniMania engine ID guide and believe I have a simple 998 non cooper engine.

Can a 998 be bored out to a larger displacement? If so, how big can one go? I would not mind trying my hand at re-building an engine and would look towards making it a "hot" one. Perhaps swap it out with the lowly 998 in my '67.

I guess I should peruse the MiniMania forums for more info., but I know you are the man with all the answers Chuck.

Craig

Comment

Hi, RE: 998 Mods.
            I've heard a fair amount recently, both in the U.S. and abroad about modding the "lowly" 998. There was, fairly recently, a full series of articles in one of two Mini Magazines ( Mini Magazine and Miniworld ) that showed great mods made to 998 engines.
            They put a 1275 head on a 998 - possibly a 12G940 head?

They discussed many aspects of overbore, necessary machining etc.

I don't have the series of mags to get it for you, but I do know that the work was all performed to a very high standard by a real Mini Guru, possibly Keith Dodd? It may also have been recorded in the Keeping Your Mini Alive series of booklets.

There are some tech articles on MM that mirror this sort of 998 modding, and may have the same data. This would most likely include some part numbers to allow you to see some of the "absolute" costs involved.

Also, since there are MANY cdn cars with 998s, and I know that some cdn mini nuts are modding them to ~ 1050cc to 1060cc.

I'm not sure how easily you can obtain the mod parts for the 998 ( in comparison to those for a 1275. )

Many people are getting very respectable proven horsepower out of them, but there are always those who will correctly argue that there is no replacement for displacement, so why not do all of the expensive machining and parts purchasing for a 1275 instead. ( I know, you were given a 998 )

Good luck in your quest. It sounds cool to get close to 1275 power out of a 998, even more so if you can do it on the "cheap".

Best regards,
            MSH
            All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

I will have to do a bit more research, especially concerning costs. When all is said and done, I do not doubt that ones hard earned dollars might be better spent on working a 1275 to it's full potential. I suppose I can just dismantle the freebie and keep the usable parts as spares. If I come into a large sum of money I can just buy one of MinMania's "crate" engines. We shall see.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X