Waxstat vs Non-Waxstat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxstat vs Non-Waxstat

I am thinking of purchasing a rebuild kit for my HS4 carb and saw that they have 2 kinds of kits. One for a waxstat carb and one for a non-waxstat carb. What are the differences and how can I tell with mine?

Thanks!

The various Mini manuals (which cover Mk III+) have photos and/or drawings of both.
    If you have the Waxstat and are looking to rebuild it, invest in the conversion kit to retro fit the pre-Waxstat set up. More reliable and easier to tune.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Ok thanks, will have to do some research. Do you know when they stopped using the pre-waxstat ones?

Comment

Don't know and can't tell for certain from the Burlen manual. It appears that some Minis were using the Waxstat as early as 1975. Not all were (both were used at the same time), and I can't tell when the pre-Waxstat stopped on the HS type carbs.

Comment

ah ok thanks, when I see the Mini tomorrow going to go take a glance at the Carb. I found out that the pre-waxstat didnt have a thermostat at the bottom of it and the waxstat did... so there is a black rubber cover on the bottom of the pre-waxstat and a metal thermostat on the waxstat.

Comment

Bulbous metal = waxstat.
            Narrow cylinder of plastic (not rubber, and not necessarily black) for pre.

Comment

Found out its a Waxstat. Conversion kit will be in order once I start ordering parts.

Edit: Can you just get a pre-waxstat rebuild kit and convert it that way?

Comment

No.

Comment

Working...
                X