Fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump

I have been having a problem with my '67 MKII where is would stall momentarily while driving after being completely warmed up it would die after idling. I believe I have tracked the problem to a faulty electric fuel pump. After the car died, I found there was no gas at the carburetor. Today I ran the car until it died and crawled under the back and tapped on the fuel pump, it started pumping and then the car re-started easily. I took the fuel pump out and found there was no filter with it, some sort of German made affair, there doesn't appear to be anything that can be serviced on it so it would appear to need replacement. I see the original SU type pump available from Minimania for $170 (ouch!).

I was wondering if anyone has found a suitable replacement perhaps generic that might be a little less spendy. Would I be better off ponying up for the SU model? I guess it would have to work with a positive ground system.

Any thoughts and or advice welcome.

Thanks,

Craig

Hi, Does your fuel pump use points ( like the s.u. ). If so, you might get away w just cleaning or replacing them. But since you said it's german, I'll make the guess that you'd just be better off with the Facet pump. Search the hot rod guys on line or ebay. Double check the psi it puts out against what you need. Many of the elec fuel pumps put out approx 7.5 - 10 psi ( or more! ) and you'll prob only need 3.5 - 5.5 depending on your car and it's carb. So, then theoretically, you'll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to put in line before the carb if you get a pump w more psi than you need.

Ok, so that's a large brain dump. I'll let those with very specific data about pressures, part numbers, etc chime in now.

Good luck to you and don't forget to disconnect your battery while working on a fuel system!
    Best regards,
    MSH
    Last edited by Mark; 08-21-2008, 06:52 AM. Reason: 7 . 5 instead of 75 psi!!
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Not sure where to look for points on this thing as it seems to be sealed other than the input and output side so I am thinking I may be better off with a new one.

I have the stock set up with a single SU carburetor so I guess I will hunt down something in the 3.5-5.5 psi range.

Maybe I should just pop for the original equipment SU type? I gather they are pretty reliable.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

The SU fuel pumps are expensive but you can usually get 20 years or more out of them. They can also be rebuilt fairly easily. I'm told that the later electronic SUs could have a longer life but they haven't been around long enough to tell.

There are the cheaper auto parts store fuel pumps but they often need a fuel pressure regulator to keep the carb from flooding. This usually costs over half of what an SU costs plus all the time spent plumbing and the shorter life. If you have to go cheap you might look into the Mr. Gasket 42S fuel pump. The pressure is a little high but it might work without a regulator. Buy two since they probably won't last too long and they will also fail at the worst possible moment. You will also need to adapt the input and output ports to fit the Mini.

Cheers,

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Craig,
          I've been using the NAPA BK610-1050 pump rated at 4.5-6 psi. on my car (998, single carb) with no over pressure problems. The first one lasted 18 months and the second is 16 months old now. Time for me to buy a spare!
          Maybe I'll buy two, plumb them both in, and power them via a toggle switch for an instant fix if one dies.
          Don
          http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...050_0067283825

Comment

Well, from what I have been given here in terms of advice I took the plunge and went with the original SU style. Seems like the easiest way to go and the most dependable.

Thanks to all for the input.

Craig

Comment

mmonice.com

mmonice providerAOC Gold service. My favorite bottled sauce is Maull's, out of St. Louis, and here are some ideas on how to doctor it. Start by simmering a bottle of sauce over low heat. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cider vinegar or rice vinegar.AOC powerleveling A lot of people use Pepsi, which gives a sweet, caramel flavor. Add a tablespoon of granulated or fresh garlic. Throw in a little chili powder for an outdoorsy quality. Maybe add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.Age of Conan Gold A tablespoon of butter or prepared mustard tastes good, too. Runescape Gold

Comment

Working...
              X