• Show
Clear All

• rubber seals

how can I protect all the
    rubber seals
    on doors/ windows, and even tires from getting hard and brittle
    Is there any product out there to do the job
    peter

Griots has a rubber cleaner and a rubber dressing that is UV resistant. The dressing is non greasy and gives a nice matte finish.

Someone once told me that vegetable oil will keep will keep rubber soft but I have never tried it.
    "This one goes to eleven."

Comment

I remember back in the VW days seeing some of the early owners manuals where products containing high amounts of kerosene were used to rub down the rubber.

Most of the pre Armor All (silicone) products were either a black tinted polish, black paint or blends of oil, solvent/kerosene and some sort of black tint.

I saw a snippet in an old Popular Mechanics "Motorist's Handbook" where they suggested brake fluid. They also mentioned staying clear of the paint as the brake fluid was also a great paint stripper. I haven't tried it, makes sense though look at tires that get brake fluid on them while bleeding the brakes. Makes the tire look almost new, well sort of.

There are two schools of thought on protecting rubber / synthetic rubber. One being the really old thought of feeding the rubber with oil even vaseline, never allowing anything silicone near the body work. Under the premise that silicone also seeps into the paint making future touch up work next to impossible.

The newer ideas use lots of silicone laden products to protect the rubber / synthetic rubber which is what most of the new body seals are made of. Some of them have UV protection, (so they won't sunburn??).

Kerosene was used for years to spiff up factory lacquer and enamel paint work. Used car dealers used to use it to wash the shine back into old paint, it came off the first time it was washed.

I use both types of products on my cars. If it looks like it could be real rubber, I'll use vaseline - apply a thin layer let it set then buff with a cloth leaving a thin coating. Synthetic products I use the silicone stuff I like the low shine formulas applied the same as greasy stuff. A trip out to the garage would turn up Armor All, Eagle 1, Griot's and probably others. I notice that in hot weather that the silicone based protectant seems to attract lots of dust.

I don't use any silicone type protectant on window seals they always seem to leech onto the glass leaving a scum that I can never get off.

One of the products I still use today is plain old talcum powder on spongy rubber door seals. It keeps the seal from sticking to the paintwork.

A good idea might be as close as your newer car's owner's manual to see what today's manufacturers are using on the seals. There are a zillion different products out there and just about as many ideas of what works.
      Skip

Comment

thanks guys, lots of option
        the old talcum powder I remember now from germany.
        For the vegetable oil part of it, since my cars are italian,
        I will use olive oil ,first pressing.

peter

Comment

And maybe just a little asiago cheese, Peter.

Dan
          Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Working...
          X