Metal on oil plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal on oil plug

I found metal pieces that look like a small Cotter pin and a bunch of small metal shavings on my oil plug of my van today. Any idea where this came from and what I should do next?
    Mitch & Teri
    Frankenvan--1961 Australian Van
    Mini Cabriolet

How large are the pieces and how many? Difficult to give advice without more information. The only cotter pin for the engine, that I can think of, is on each end of the rocker shaft and they're not small. Small amounts of metal shavings on the mag drain plug are normal. If it were me, I'd drain/flush/refill the oil, change the filter and check after 500 miles.

Comment

As Jerry asked, size and volume. Also, what did the magnet look like last time you changed the oil and how long ago was that in time and miles?
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I pulled the rocker cover and one split pin was missing, and 3 washers were sitting loose. The split pin piece on the oil plug was about the size of a nickel. The metal shavings were about 1/4 inch thick on the plug. It was the first time I changed the oil myself so I don’t know what it was for prior oil changes. I’ll put the washers back on with a new pin and fire the engine up once I get a new rocker cover gasket.
        Mitch & Teri
        Mini Cabriolet

Comment

Valve cover gasket, Fel-Pro #VS21507, at your local O'Reilly's for about $8.

Comment

Thanks!
            Mitch & Teri
            Mini Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
            X