Rack-and-pinion steering gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack-and-pinion steering gear

After removing the deteriorated steering rack rubber gaiters i found traces/chips of nylon/plastic in the grease at the left end of the steering gear assembly. The car is right hand drive. No chips were found at the right end and the rack is centered in the housing. At the left end the rack lays on the bottom of the housing. Haynes recommends a reconditioned unit and does not go into any details. Is there a bushing that has failed? can it be replaced without taking everything apart?
    Thanks.

I'm no steering gear expert, but I think that maybe a steering rack replacement is in your future. Check the mini mania forum for a thread authored by Hunter2 titled "Question for Chuck". A reply from Coopertune in the thread may have an answer for you.

Comment

There is good information on rebuilding racks here if you decide to go that way:

http://members.tripod.com/austin_america/id63.html

Searching for BMC steering rack brings up some good pictures.

Kelley
      If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Rack rebuilding

Also,
        Dr. Mini, on the Aus Mini forum ( he also come to MM forum on occasion ) has rebuilt several and has a How To on that Aus Forum to allow people to do it themselves.
        to find him, Do a search for the term "wasamatic" which refers to his use of the Automatic block to be modified and used on a manual transmission. He uses the term in his tagline.
        Best of luck
        MSH
        All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Working...
        X