Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo cable

my speedo cable does not work any more.
    What is the best easierst way to replace it at the tranny side?
    I got already the new one( for Innos) it does have a different connection
    at the top at the instrument.
    btw I have dual 1 1/4 su( not much room)
    peter

Moss Motors sells a right angle drive that attaches to the back of the speedo that I installed on my car. It allows the cable to be routed into the back of the speedo parallel to the firewall-reduces the strain on the cable. P/N 433-745, $27.99. Worth every penny. There is a thread dated 16 Dec 2016 on the mini mania forum that has a link to changing the cable. Several methods are discussed.

Comment

Jerry,
      thks for advice,
      The cable for the innos are different at the connection to the instruments( Jaeger Veglia) the co9nncection at the engine is the same as the brititish
      I got the right cable from Seven
      My question::>what the best way to connect the cable at the bottom,
      my hands are to big !!
      peter

Comment

Peter, try and find the thread that I referenced on the mini mania forum. They discuss several different ways to remove and install the speedo at the lower drive location. Probably the easiest on your hands would be to remove the radiator (You were going to change the coolant anyway, right??).

Comment

http://www.minimania.com/msgThread/1...e_speedo_cable

That's one of several threads. About the only thing not mentioned is to take care installing the new cable. It is very easy to cross-thread it if working with the radiator in place.
          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

George Thompson donated this tool to the tool library specifically to remove or tighten speedometer cables:

Disconnect the cable from the speedometer and slide the tool down cable, noting the correct orientation. Once on the cable's knurled nut on gearbox the tool is the correct size to remove it.

Let me know if you would like to borrow the tool.

Kelley
            Attached Files
            If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

thks Kelley
              yes I will borrow that tool, bring it to the White E auction
              I will be there.
              thks
              peter

Comment

Will do...

Kelley
                If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

speedocable

I was able to fit the inner cable into the old housing connected at the bottom and at the instrument I used a litte bit of 2o/ 5o oel and it worked perfectly so there was no need to change the whole unit.( especially at the bottom
                  to disconnect)
                  thks for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X