Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sug Carbs question

in my car I have a single HIF44/ or Hif 6 carb on
    a 1362 cc engine K. Calver head 73 mm Evolution Pistons Elgin Fast Rd cam 264/.268 123 Distb.
    The car performs got at lower speed but when I speed up exp. on a hill it lacks the power.
    Now I have as s pare twin HS2 setup could this an option to put on the engine and find out how that performs but I think the twins are perhaps maxed out for the 136o engine.??
    What about electronics to mess with or play with the needle.

peter

Peter, I'm not sure which Calver head you're running, but Calver told me I wouldn't find a suitable curve in the 123 for the setup I'm running (which is fairly similar to yours). The 123 is a great distributor, but he was right about it not being the one my engine needed.

I'd email him, tell him about the engine's spec, and ask what he thinks about your car's performance.

Dan
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

I m having an 11 sud GT head Keith Cu;lver
      Overall questions was:
      can you replace the HIF44 with a twin HS 2 Carb
      on the same engine 1362 with the stuff mentioned on it.?
      I will contact keith also ,thks Dan

Comment

Peter, which curve for the 123 distributor are you using? I used #7 with good results. Also make sure that the static timing is correct. The 123 should be installed at TDC as it has 10 degrees of advance built into it-and be sure to follow the instructions (regarding the sequence of attaching the black and red wires from the 123 to the coil) while setting the LED in the distributor.

Comment

My 123 dizzy is set at 5"
          Needle is a BDL and the Spring is a RED one
          so the car is anyway not drivable now because of Restauration metal
          and paint work
          when it comes to set I wil reset and find out.
          thks
          peter

Comment

The HIF 44 is plenty of carb for a 1360. When I moved up to that displacement, I also moved from a BDL to a BDK needle.

Dan
            Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

I talked to Keith Calver in this matter
              and does not like the 123 dizzy no good advance curve
              he recommend one with a more suitable Advance curve!!!
              What does it means: a pretonics or a regular points condenser one??

Comment

Did Keith tell you the specifics of the advance curve he recommends? I found distributors on his website but there was no information on the specifications.

Kelley
                If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I emailed Keith Calver he mentioned right away he does bot like
                  123 Dizzy s
                  in his words the problem is the advance curve not good for regular road use
                  performance.l
                  he said use a more suitable Advance Curve Dist.
                  When I get my car back I will play with the 123 and set to "7" and will see.
                  thks
                  peter

Comment

If you are convinced that the distributor is the problem and want to spend the money, Jeff at Advanced Distributors will build a custom distributor/curve for your specific engine. Go to the web site, fill out the worksheet and reach for your wallet. He'll custom build one, with Petronix electric ignition, for under $400. Or, send him one of your old point type distributors that fits an A Plus engine and he'll do the same for considerably less. Give him a call.

Comment

Advanced Distributors.com

612-804-5543

Jeff Schlemmer
                      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

thks all , l for all the input
                        I think first I will play with the 123 Dist. ( curve) and then perhaps
                        change the needle from BDL or BDK
                        peter

Comment

Working...
                        X