Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake handbrake lever orientation

Hi y'all-
    This picture here shows the handbrake levers in the rear drum with an orientation opposite to how they are installed on my car. As an example of my confusion, this picture from Seven Enterprises shows the levers one way in the exploded iso view, and the other way in the bottom view...

Any thoughts on the correct way to install the handbrake levers? "long section to bottom", or "long section to top"?

Many thinks-
    Jason

Even though you can make them work either way, put the long section down on both sides. Even the factory parts books are not consistent with the photos!

Also, pay close attention to the position of the two shoes and the lower spring. I seldom have a car in my garage for brake work where the shoes (front or rear) are installed correctly.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

OK. Thank you, Chuck. I'll swap the levers to get the long section on the bottom both sides next time I have a chance, to make them like the minifinity forum picture.

Lower spring: I think I understand how it should go.

Shoes: as I understand it, one should appear upside down compared to the other, so that they present the same leading edge to the drum as it turns... sound right?

-Jason

Comment

Shoes: yes, the same leading edge. And, although it will sound silly, pretend that the pad is loose on the metal and the drum turning forward rotates the pad around the metal. That leaves more exposed metal where the rotating drum first reaches the shoe. That works on both sides and works on the front drums for those still using drums in front.
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Yep. Got it. Thank you, Chuck!

Comment

Working...
          X