Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery

So I think its about time for me to accept that my '66 Cooper S probably needs a new battery.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations/preferences that they'd like to share for where to go for a new battery for our LBC's? Or will any battery that fits in the battery box do?
    Jerry C
    "You drive...I think there's something wrong with me"

I always buy my batteries from Dyno in Interbay. I have no evidence that they are better than any other battery but they manufacture batteries for marine use onsite and they're happy to sell over the counter. I also know that if I have a problem they will happily take care of it. Here's their website:

http://www.dynobattery.com/

Kelley
    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Thanks for the info about Dyno. I will include them in my comparison shopping.

But what I was really hoping to hear was some tips about the size battery that fits in the box and does not weigh so much that it can actually be lifted out by someone leaning in over the boot lid. Seems like Duralast & Interstate show batteries on-line that are about 6.88" wide which looks to be only marginally less width than the battery box itself. My existing battery measures about 5" wide, maybe it is a motorcycle battery.

At any rate, it is already heavy enough that it is a bit of a challenge to lift out. I'm thinking a battery that comes close to filling the box will be that much heavier and that much harder to lift out. Do the experienced Mini owners set some sort of strap underneath the battery to make it possible to lift out. Maybe the answer is to make sure the new battery has a handle for ease of installation and removal? Just wondering if anyone has gone through this and wants to share any experience/tips.
      Jerry C
      "You drive...I think there's something wrong with me"

Comment

Some batteries come with straps. For those that don't I have a strap that has grips on each end that hook onto the + and - and help pull the battery out. No name on it and I've had it for years so I don't remember where I bought it, but I'd guess that a little Internet searching should turn one up.
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Jerry, I think every Optima Yellow Top battery (maybe every Optima battery) comes with a snap-on handle that helps lift the danged thing into and out of the boot box.

I use an Optima Yellow Top D51R in the pickup. The D51 is small (roughly 10" x 5" x 9"), and it weighs maybe 25 pounds.

Because battery space in the pickup is very tight, I went for the Optima. It's an AGM product and doesn't have to stand upright. I laid it on its side in a little box that's tucked into the area behind the driver's seat and under the load bed. Them's cramped quarters and there isn't room for the nifty handle, so I buckle a nylon web strap (like you'd use to attach something to your backpack) around it so I have a handhold if I need to remove or replace it.

Dan
          Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

The battery size that fits in the box is the standard Group 24 battery. Group 24 F I believe.

Chris Miller

Comment

Hi Jerry-
              I use an Odyssey pc680, which can be lifted out with one hand. Plenty of starting power, and 'adds lightness'. Still working on a securing clamp, tho, since it's much smaller than a standard battery.
              -Jason

Comment

Working...
              X