Brake lights work, then don't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lights work, then don't.

Help. My brake lights work two or three times after turning the key to the on position, then stop working. If I turn the key off, then back on they work two or three times then stop again. Any ideas on likely suspects? Granted, I do have wiring gremlins but I'm hoping there is any easy fix so I can be operational for the bbq Tuesday and the Greenwwod car show. I don't want to be driving a little car with no brake lights. Any help would be mucho appreciadod. Thanks
    Mitch & Teri
    Frankenvan--1961 Australian Van
    Mini Cabriolet

Frank,
    Jumper between the wires on your brake light switch. If the lights stay on then the switch is bad, very likely if it's the hydraulic type.

Don

Comment

Thanks Don. I did that and the lights stayed on. I'll replace the switch.

Mitch
      Mitch & Teri
      Mini Cabriolet

Comment

Hydraulic?

Before you pull the old switch put a piece of Saran wrap under your master cylinder reservoir cap and replace the cap. No air in means less brake fluid out.

Don't let the fitting the switch screws into turn when replacing the switch or leaks will ensue. Been there.

Don

Comment

Anyone have an extra brake switch they could sell me at the meeting tonight? I need the hydraulic type from the Mark I era. Thanks.
          Mitch & Teri
          Mini Cabriolet

Comment

I've got one, see you tonight.

Don

Comment

Thanks Don.
              Mitch & Teri
              Mini Cabriolet

Comment