starting issue help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issue help

Hi I am a newer mini owner and own a 1978 mini. I have enjoyed my mini worry free for the past several months and she has ran beautiflly but randomly today she died when I came to a stop at home and won't restart. Fluids are good and it turns but nothing more. I have just done all the regular simple maintenance but now i'm stumped and don't know where to take her to to get looked over. I have asked around but no one I've asked knows classic mini's that well.

I would like to get her up and running again this weekend if at all possible.

So if anyone can direct me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Slightly frustrated and sad mini owner,

-george

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like maybe an electrical issue. Check the condensor, points, rotor and cap? Electrical fuel pump? Ohhh maybe a plugged fuel filter, that will often cause stalling at idle. those are all my best guesses...

Comment

Also check to make sure you carb is getting fuel.

Fuel lines
      Fuel filter
      Pump

I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a clogged fuel pump and filter
      It can make commuting the best part of the day if you do it right. -mascher
      sigpic

Comment

I checked out the electrical since that would be the easiest, and it looks all clear there, nice connection points on everything as well as a good spark where needed.

What it seems to do is if I can get it enough gas it runs just nice, but enough gas is the pedal to the floor and the starter going for a bit. So I do think it is a fuel issue.

I am looking at the fuel filter and pump, but I'm not sure on the pump I have, I'm thinking it's the mechanical fuel pump, but I really can't tell with out getting it into the shop. I followed the fuel line to find a really dinky fuel filter, that was zip tied to the undercarriage of the car. I'm guessing that is where my main problem is going to be but I'm not sure.

So my question is, how would be the easiest way to tell if it is the pump (and to find out which kind of pump it is) or the filter? Or worse something else... Also if it is the fuel filter what would be a good replacement, order one from minimania or?

I personally don't have a well stocked garage here in Seattle, but if it's possible to figure it out with the bare minimal tools I'm up for it. If not, is there a fairly good shop anyone knows of that I can bring my mini to have them take care of the issue? I really want to be able to do it on my own, but I'm going to have to learn a whole lot more heh.

Thank you again I really appreciate your help guys.

Cheers,

-george

Comment

If the car runs once it starts then the starting problem is not likely to be the fuel pump or the fuel filter. A '78 Mini should have an SU carb. Holding down the accelerator does nothing to help it start. It just opens the butterfly allowing more air in. You should, however have a choke knob on the dash.

The symptoms you describe sound like the choke either isn't working or isn't being used. If the carb is adjusted a bit lean it would be almost impossible to start without starting fluid or a little extra fuel.

Chuck Heleker, who frequents this website, repairs Minis in Renton. If you're not really familiar with Mini's it would be a good idea to have him look it over for you even if you want to fix it yourself. Unfortunately, you missed the Mini Clinic this Spring which would have given you a free pass on a thorough inspection.

Cheers,

Kelley
          If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Originally posted by mascher View Post
            If the car runs once it starts then the starting problem is not likely to be the fuel pump or the fuel filter. A '78 Mini should have an SU carb. Holding down the accelerator does nothing to help it start. It just opens the butterfly allowing more air in. You should, however have a choke knob on the dash.
            Kelley

True, but this was his symptom

I have enjoyed my mini worry free for the past several months and she has ran beautiflly but randomly today she died when I came to a stop at home and won't restart.

It can make commuting the best part of the day if you do it right. -mascher
            sigpic

Comment

Call me 425 226 2783
              The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Working...
              X