Chrome ring on front turn signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome ring on front turn signal

Any tips on how to get this on. I just don't have enough hands to get it all the way on.

Thanks,
    Mitch & Teri
    Frankenvan--1961 Australian Van
    Mini Cabriolet

Start it in the groove, then use a small, fine-bladed screwdriver to open the rubber as you go around and roll the stainless ring in. It's a crazy system, but a fine blade of any kind will get it done for you.

Dan
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

I use the rounded end of an old flat metal nail file wrapped in masking tape (to not cut/gouge the seal) for opening the rubber up while installing the trim ring. Even with that, you kinda need three hands.

This type of file.

Far and away one of my least favorite things to do on a Mini.

Comment

Thanks, it is really hard on the bottom, soft and stretchy up top and chewed up on the sides so I am trying to be a gentle as possible but so far can just get it about 1/3 of the way on. The prior owner just left it 1/3 of the way on which is how I found it.

I'll try the nail file next.
        Mitch & Teri
        Frankenvan--1961 Australian Van
        Mini Cabriolet

Comment

Seven Enterprises sells the Boot, Front Indicator Lamp (576105), for about $5. New ones are nice, pliable and probably will seal better.

Comment

A dab of that dilectric grease on the lip might help. The same stuff you put on the bulb base.

Don

Comment

Working...
            X