Can someone help me identify this engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me identify this engine

Can anyone help me identify what engine I have here.

The casting on the head is 12A185

The plate on the engine is difficult to read but I can get some of it. 9F-SA ??10610

Most likely early 1275 S.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

9f... should be a 998 cc engine
      peter

Comment

Getting closer. It's a 997, early Cooper. There are two heads that use the 12A185 casting number. One is for the big bore (Cooper S) and the other was used on the 997 as far as I've been able to tell. I have a small bore 12A185.

Or maybe I should say that there is a very good chance it's a 997. Parts get swapped on Minis all the time. There should be a casting number on the block and an aluminum tag on the back of the engine (side facing the firewall). IIRC the tag should have 1000 imprinted.

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I pegged it as a 997 due to its serial number being less than 19200. Other motors had the 9F/Sa prefix but larger serial numbers. Using John Parnell's book, page 36.

Don

Comment

Looking at it again, the way the number is written, it isn't anything.

9F-SA ??10610 would have to be 9F/SA/ with the next ? mark having to be H or L (if a 997 Cooper or a 1071 S) or X (if a 970 S) or Y (if a 1275 S). That leaves six digits which would not be a valid engine number.

If the first question mark is an H or L and the second question mark goes away, I'd agree on the 997.
            The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

998 / 997 engine cooper

here are some Engine prefix numbers for the
              cooper 998 Innocenti
              1966 9FG SA H
              1968 9FS A H
              1970 9 FJ xE H
              1972 9 FJ XE H
              after that the 998 was discontuned and the 1275 was introduce.
              All those engine were built in England for Innocenti specification

thks
              peter

Comment

Working...
              X