blown head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown head gasket

so I blew a head gasket on my 998 cooper, the head gasket is a compression reducing one from Kinetics, this is unusal because they don't make one for the 998, the PO used a 1275 head gasket, this left very little sealing room between the #3 cylinder and water channel hence blown gasket, so the flat top pistons and head that has been shaved to far for street driving and unable to find another compression reducing head gasket, I set out to find a head suitable for street driving. found one thank you Don Dixon, head was inspected by Auto Sport everything looked great. installed head w/copper head gasket everything installed carbs, choke, oil, coolent, etc. "adjusted valves everything turned smooth" very happy with installation... ok first start turns, no fire. second start turns slower this time maybe dead battery put charger on, third turns slow then LOCKS up will not turn by hand will not turn with car in 4th.... removed valve cover no bent push rods. this was a smooth running car before head gasket blew, starter not stuck. any ideas of what I've done

Didn't leave a rag in a cylinder, did you? Of course not. If you are confident that everything went back together correctly, it could be something that is completely unrelated to the head gasket replacement. Since the engine can't turn over, you can't even start troubleshooting with a compression check. Is the clutch operating properly, disengaging from the flywheel? Pull the plugs and see what is visible through the spark plugs holes. Sorry to say but if it were my engine, I'd start by pulling the head and check for scoring, etc. on the cylinder walls or maybe by draining the oil to see if there are any suspicious pieces clinging to the drain plug magnet. Keep us informed.

Comment

What Jerry said. Pull the plugs, any water? Will it turn then?

Don

Comment

been juggling a couple of projects, no rag, good one! no water in cylinder, started not stuck, did remove starter and weird it looks like ring gear is touching bell housing shavings included?

Comment

sorry starter not stuck... engine is stuck! but I was able to turn a inch enough to see ring gear shaving bell housing
          Kurt

Comment

Sorry, need more information...what color is the car?

Comment

Removing the clutch cover (bell housing) with the engine in the car, is a little fiddly but certainly doable. Using a board under the transmission to distribute the weight, jack the engine enough to take the weight from the engine mount and remove the clutch cover attachment bolts and the engine mount hardware. The starter has already been removed-right? Removal of the clutch operating lever is simply a matter of taking off the spring from the upper end and the pivot pin from the lower end. If you need to remove the flywheel, that's more easily done with the engine out of the car as is the clutch cover. If I have forgotten some steps, be assured that other club members will offer good advice. Good luck and keep us informed.

Comment

Any news?

Comment

sold other project, yeah. Now I can take a closer look at 69 Cooper 998, removed clutch cover today. engine turns 6inches and fly wheel is scrapping housing and stops. beginning to believe crank is bent, I need to buy the right size socket to remove fly wheel to inspect clutch, extra note fly wheel has had 6- 1/2 inch holes drilled in it, i guess to lighten it. I took some pictures will try to add

Comment

Can you see where it's scraping the housing? I ask because it a bolt that is too long is used on the clutch slave cylinder it will hit the flywheel.

Kelley
                    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Seems to scrap on the self below the starter shaft. Maybe someone or more would like to come see my problem, advise me on the direction I need to go. I will provide beer. I live in Black Diamond

Comment

Is there a puller designed to remove fly wheel in the mini or do I need to remove engine?

Comment

You can do it in the car and there is a Mini specific puller. There's one in the tool library.
                          Aren't you close to James T? See if he'll loan you his.

Don

Comment

Working...
                          X