Short throw shift kits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short throw shift kits...

I'm toying around with the notion of getting a Short throw shift kit for my Mini. I've had them in almost all of my other previous cars and I really do prefer the shorter throw over the stock ones. I'd like to get some feedback if possible from those of you that either have or had one in their Mini. Is there a certain brand you've liked or disliked or have had better luck with?

-Bryan

I have had short shift kits in my other cars as well, and I have had one in a Mini. They are really unnecessary in Mini's, the part that gets overlooked and needs to be replaced fairly often is this one:

ROD CHANGE EYE BOLT SLEEVE
    http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Gearbox/Replacement%20parts/42H1116.aspx?1507&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/rod%20change.aspx|Back%20to%20search

Along with the pin that goes in it. A fresh one with no wear really reduces all of the slop in the shifts.

Comment

Thanks Ryan, I kind of had the feeling that it isn't really necessary for our cars. I had one in my S4 Avant and it was a lot of fun to have, but this is a completely different type of car.

Comment

You're right in calling it a short-throw shifter. It doesn't make the process any quicker. In fact, if you use it to hurry the shift, you can beat the synchros and grind the gears.

There really are only two kinds available. You can get the old style from just about anyone for either a rod-change or remote setup. They're cheap (remote is more expensive) and easy to install.

The KAD unit is a little pricier, but you get KAD quality and an easier change into reverse with a lifting collar. The silly anodizing is fairly easy to get off if you don't like purple.

I have the old-style kit in my car and it works fine. But I enjoy the tiny pause from snick to snick.

Dan
        Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Thanks Dan, I had my eye on the KAD kit, but I also found a Paddy Hopkirk kit from Mini Sport (about half the price of the KAD).

http://www.minisport.com/ph33-040-pa...rknob-kit.html

Comment

That's an old-style kit with Paddy's name on it, Bryan. You can buy the same product -- without the Hopkirk name -- about 40 bucks cheaper at Mini Spares.

Dan
            Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Have herd of more problems with them than good things. I say fix he worn parts of the original shifter and leave that thing on the suppliers shelf and the money in you pocket.
              "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
              ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
              '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
              '60 Morris Van - Marvan
              '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

One of my favorite topics! But I'll not bore you with all the details. I will suggest that if you have to have a shorter throw, cut an inch off the top of the shift lever you have and rethread it. Same result and much cheaper.
                The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's definitely not something I have to have right now, there are more important things on my list to do first. I've enjoyed having them in past cars which have made a pretty significant difference (some more than others) so I figured I ask those who have had them. Maybe I'll put if off just a bit longer.

Comment

Working...
                  X