Random hotness (aka cooling issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random hotness (aka cooling issues)

I've noticed Lillibeth is beginning to heat randomly the head temp will climb to 225 at intervals not related to load. Is there a cheap fast way to fix this before the ABFM?

Much thanks

Greg

Do you have an electric fan? Is it working?

It would help to know the true year of manufacture of your Mini.

Cheers,

Kelley
    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Unless you have a mechanical tempature guage I would verify the voltage from the stabilizer if your tempature problem is "random"

Comment

Lillibeth is a SPI 1992 mini with dual fans,

Originally posted by Canine View Post
        I've noticed Lillibeth is beginning to heat randomly the head temp will climb to 225 at intervals not related to load. Is there a cheap fast way to fix this before the ABFM?

Much thanks

Greg
        Thanks for the looksee, hope you can help. I can get the temp under control when I turn the heater on, but it's not consistent, it looks like the water pump is new at least it doesn't have that patina like the rest of the motor. I could try a thermostat swap to see if that helps, but issues like this are usually symptoms of something larger.......

Comment

I guess I am mostly wondering if there is a common problem with cooling and mini's other than the radiator being sideways.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the radiator being sidways, it doesn't cause overheating. The most common problem with Minis is that little or no maintainence has been done on them in years. So, start with the basics. Flush the cooling system and change the thermostat. Make sure everything is clean. Make sure the timing is set properly. Make sure the temperature gauge is working properly. If you're losing coolant you definitely have a temperature problem if you're not then the problem is marginal and you'll have to look more carefully to find the cause.

Tell me the age of your car and what kind of fan or fans it's running and I might be able to tell you more.

Kelley

Comment

sorry I thought I posted my specs. and coolant ideas?

Lillibeth is a 1992 Rover mini SPI, I'm not losing coolant, but I do agree with the coolant swap, and the thermostat change, that will be done soon. Any coolant type suggestions?

She has a dual fans both are plastic, the fender well electric fan I have never heard engage so I want to test it to see if it's working Any good testing tricks for that? Perhaps the relay is bad.

Timing I will check, but idle, acceleration, cruising are all spot on, no stumbles even. (I have all vacuum leaks in check I think, at least the proper leaks are in place

Comment

I think you're on the right track. Propylene glycol type anti-freeze is preferred since it does't kill off the local fauna but otherwise it's all the same from my point of view.

Failed fan relays are pretty common and since you've never heard the fan turn on it's a pretty good bet that it's bad.

It's possible for the car to operate ok and still have the timing off enough to cause overheating. This one is fairly low on my list. Do the others first.

Cheers,

Kelley

Comment

coolant changes done

One cracked thermostat housing, swearing, and some leaked coolant and I have a more functional cooling system. It's still getting hot however, rather inconsistant swings in the temp albeit cooler swings now. The electric fan is still not coming on I'm in the process of replacing all my relays. (heard of a radiator switch?)

The timing may be an issue but I thought on SPI cars the timing was controlled by the map? At least that's what the manual says. Not a lot of reference to how to set the timing in my manual, but I would assume 15 deg?
                  TDC?

Really appreciate the help and the ability to whine and have folks understand the obsession.

Greg

Comment

changed the relays, still no electric fan...

Fan still does not come on if I let the car sit at idle and get hot, or drive up our steep driveway and watch it get hot.... again it's a 1992 mini SPI with two fans. Auxillary electric fan does work I hooked it up to a 12v source and it worked great, there must be a thermal switch out or a shorted wire. Should I hook this fan up to a manual switch? I hate to splice, but the stock electrical control doesn't work.

Comment

Fuses are fine....

You may be thinking it's probably a fuse, first thing I thought of, but they are all ok.

Comment

The most likely culprit, with respect to the electric fan, is the thermostatic switch. I'm not sure how it works on an SPI but it's a good place to start.

Cheers,

Kelley

Comment

yep it was the switch

There is a fan switch at the bottom of my radiator toward the front, I've always assumed it was a sensor for the temp gauge but when I pulled the wires off and shorted them the fan came on.....

Ordered the parts from mini mania but I doubt they will be here before the ABFM.....perhaps a manual switch for temporary?

Greg

Comment

Timing issues....
                            The timing tab on my mini has a 0 1 8 on it where should the timing be?

Greg

SPI 1992 mini 1275cc. (all stock)

Comment

Working...
                            X