Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Hydro / Wet cars in SAMOA?

Hi there!
    Just wondering how many wet cars are left that are still using their hydro system ( haven't changed to dry )?
    You'd think with the number of variants in the club, that would reduce our Wet to dry ratio.

The reason, I came accross some wet stuff.

Best regards,
    MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

I have 1 car with hydro( inno 72 85o
    Peter

Comment

Three and no converted cars.
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Hi Mark,
        My 66 Austin Cooper S is still wet.
        Joe

Comment

'66 Cooper 'S' still hydrolastic. I know of two others that are being restored to original condition as well.

Kelley
          If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Add Chris Miller's MkII Cooper S to the list.
            Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
            1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Excellent that these wet cars are being restored and left that way! How do you identify the displacers and the differences between them? Does anyone have a chart of the types or "springy rates" of each type?
              Thanks and regards,
              MSH
              All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Informtion in Parnell's book for the Cooper and S. Overlaps into the others, but you'd need a factory parts book or fiche to sort it out.

The displacers were easy to tell apart...when they were new. They were banded in different colors. Good luck finding the color codes on 40 year old displacers though!
                The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Adding to what Chuck said: All hydrolastic displacers I have seen have the same numbers cast into the rubber (21A1477 the same as the earliest part number) and once the colored bands were gone there is no way, short of testing them on something like a shock dyno, to tell the difference. Having said that, despite the fact that the Cooper 'S' displacers had different part numbers (not the number on the displacer) in the manuals, the vast majority seem to have been the same as those used in the more mundane Minis. The uprated dampers seem to have been either a special order item or something ordered through the Special Tuning department. I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything that indicate otherwise. I would, as always, be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers,

Kelley
                  If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Just thought of another wet one. Bill Wecker's (previously Clint Crain's) MkI Austin Cooper S. Didn't do a back-to back but the displacers on that car feel a LOT stiffer than my memory of those that were on my white MkII 1000 (Cooper replica).
                    Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
                    1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Count our 1966 Morris S in your findings too Mark.
                      Tim
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Comment

Working...
                      X