Guages not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guages not working

The last thing that needs to be done on the clubman is the guages not working. the speedo works and the lights for the guages work just the gas, rpm and temp guages not working. What should I be looking for or at to figure them out?
    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Chuck
    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Right now going to chuck is not doable as I don't live down there anymore.
      1971 mini Clubman Turbo
      1991 Black German mini
      2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

How close do you live to Kelley?
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Comment

Originally posted by Nimbits View Post
          How close do you live to Kelley?
          I believe Chris' is on Whidbey Island?

Have you checked the fuses or if there are any loose wires around the gauge cluster (implying a bad ground?)

Comment

Yes I live in Oak Harbor now. Yeah I have checked fuses and wires. Not sure where it gets power from, there is a lot of extra wires for other accessories mixed in behind the dash.
            1971 mini Clubman Turbo
            1991 Black German mini
            2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I'd be happy to help if I had the time. I barely have time to check in on the forums.

Kelley

Comment

Do you know what wires to check for the guages? And where it get power from?
                1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                1991 Black German mini
                2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Power comes from the fuse block and for the temp and fuel guages passes through the voltage stabilizer. For a Clubman the colors going to the circuit card of the gauge cluster will be Black and White according to the wiring diagrams. The voltage stabilizer is located on the circuit board or the speedometer. If it's an earlier type gauge set the wiring could have the same colors or the earlier wiring was Light Green and Green w/ Black stripe.

If you don't have a wiring diagram you'll get lost very quickly.

Kelley

Comment

You know Kelley, I was just kidding when I through out your name but I appreciate the reply so we all could learn something.

Tim
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Comment

I knew you were kidding but I feel bad sometimes that I don't have more time for Minis these days.

Cheers,

Kelley

Comment

Ok So I got around to work on the gauges. They are getting power to all the quages. Tested the fuel float thing in the tank and it is working and sending to the gauge, but the gauge is not registering anything. The temp is not registering anything either. And the RPM is not working either. It is all getting power. It lights up when I turn on the lights and the other lights work, like the lights around the fuel and temp gauges for hight beams and the other two lights.

How does the rpm work, does it run off the distributor? How and what does the voltage resister for the gauges look like? There is a thing I will take a pic of it tomorrow that I am not sure what it is.
                        1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                        1991 Black German mini
                        2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                          1991 Black German mini
                          2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Now the speedo is not working. What could be the problem? The fuel gauge is sort of working but not registering what it should be.
                            1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                            1991 Black German mini
                            2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I don't have much experience with that type of gauge cluster so here are some wild guesses.

The speedometer has a push on cable and it may have been dislodged slightly when moving the gauges.

The connections between flexible circuit card and the gauges may be dirty and/or corroded. Disassembly and cleaning may help.

Kelley

Comment

Working...
                              X