Starter wiring? Distributor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter wiring? Distributor?

My clubman and cooper have different wiring for the starter and distributor. It is confusing me and I am wondering if anyone can help. The clubman was using a non pre-engaged and the cooper has a pre-engaged. Cooper has 65 DM4 dizzy.

Clubman starter wiring box

Clubman Distributor connection is the connection below the alternator in the pic. Instead of being on the dizzy it is on the body on the car. Thinking it is a 59 DM4 Dizzy.

Cooper wiring harness
    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

How can I make this work?
    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Ahh...A tale of two solenoids.

You have a solenoid on the inner fender of the Clubman that needs to go away (I'll take it) and one on the '91 starter that you need to use.

The '91 motor will need a large wire from the battery and some brown wires (from the alternator and to the fuse block) connected to the large stud on the solenoid.

The ignition switch "start" position wire (has a white jacket with a red tracer perhaps) connects to a small terminal on the solenoid. You know which terminal because you made a sketch of the connections, right?

The '91 probably has a second small terminal on the solenoid with a white/yellow wire. That's the ballast resistor by-pass. I don't think the Clubby had a ballast resistor so that terminal can remain vacant.

IF the Clubman starter will drive the '91 you could keep the inner fender solenoid and use the early starter.

Don

Comment

Will I be able to use a inertia drive starter in place of the pre-engaged starter? I know how it all connects on the 91 mini but have no idea how to connect the clubman as I didn't take it apart. I think I found the alternator cables on the inner fender solenoid. What is a start position wire?

1971 mini Clubman Turbo
        1991 Black German mini
        2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I have no idea if an early starter will fit your '91. Someone else will have to chime in.
          Start position wire: The ignition switch has 3 maybe 4 positions. Off, on, and start. The maybe is the accessory position. When you turn the key to "start" voltage is delivered to the magnetic coil in the solenoid via that small white/red wire. This closes a HUGE set of contacts in the solenoid to deliver voltage to the starterererer.

Don

Comment

Ok well the wiring was never taken out so I will assume it is all there. I will be able to try to get the car started tomorrow when I get the kenelow fan mounted to the radiator after the mail comes. I can see if the other starter will fit in the mean time unless someone knows something I can do. I can also get better pics too.
            1971 mini Clubman Turbo
            1991 Black German mini
            2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Both starters will fit..and in a pinch ..you can swap them between A and A+ engines..BUT>>It's not the best for the starter gear or the ring gear and will most likely be very loud when cranking the engine. Why? Because the two starters and made to engage the flywheel from opposite sides. I have installed a late starter on an early engine before but not the other way.
              "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
              ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
              '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
              '60 Morris Van - Marvan
              '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

As James says, "in a pinch." I would not recommend swapping starters; especially, an early starter into a late car. Like my suggestions for reconditioning your cylinder head, everything is apart; you're not stuck by the side of the road; take your time and do it correctly.
                The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

How can I hook up the other solenoid on the inner fender to the late model starter? Should I move the alternator wires to the starter? Is there anything else I will need to move? Will I need to run new wires, if so what ones?
                  1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                  1991 Black German mini
                  2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

You dont...you need to change the wiring to connect to the new style solenoid. Sounds like you need to take a step back....ok take another step back.....sit down with your Haynes manual and figure out what wires need to go where. When you are more comfortabe with what you are looking at. Then go back to the car...identify the wires that are there. Then alter the wiring to go where you need it to for the new style.
                    "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
                    ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
                    '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
                    '60 Morris Van - Marvan
                    '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

I was looking at the wiring diagrams all day today in the early mini haynes and the MG metro haynes manuals that I have. Well I think I got the starter figured out. I took all the wires off the solenoid for the clubman and looked at all the starter wires for the cooper and they are the same. The alternator wires on the cooper goes to the starter and it is the same for the clubman. There is a wire on the clubman that was zip tied up and it matches the one on the cooper. That one will need a new fitting to go on the starter. But thanks all for the help. Glad the wiring harness was never changed or that no one went happy with red wires. The wire to the battery is also long enough to go to the starter so I won't have to run any wires there.

cooper harness

clubman harness
                      1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                      1991 Black German mini
                      2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

There are no wires from the alternator to the starter. You mean the starter solenoid, I assume.
                        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheleker View Post
                          There are no wires from the alternator to the starter. You mean the starter solenoid, I assume.
                          Well yeah, what you said.
                          1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                          1991 Black German mini
                          2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Working...
                          X