Can these brakes be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can these brakes be saved?

I am not sure if these brakes can be saved. Should I get new rotors or can I bring these back to life? Knowing me with brakes they are going to be a pain to take off.

1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Those look to be Metro Turbo brakes and yes they defiantly look savable!! Oh..and if you don't want too ...please give them too me
    "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
    ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
    '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
    '60 Morris Van - Marvan
    '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Ok cool I will see what I can do to get them off and take them to get machined.
      1971 mini Clubman Turbo
      1991 Black German mini
      2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Dont get them turned unless they have big score marks in them. Just spray them down with WD40 then...when you want to use them again, scuff the surface rust off with 400 grit sand paper and clean with brake cleaner.
        "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
        ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
        '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
        '60 Morris Van - Marvan
        '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Ok will try that.
          1971 mini Clubman Turbo
          1991 Black German mini
          2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Better yet if you're replacing the pads and if they have a bit of pad on them, just take it for a short drive. Normal braking will clean up the surface rust and will tell if the disc is or isn't pitted. If it's not, do what James said. The picture looks like it might be surface rust. Just bear in mind the first couple of times you hit the brakes it will sound pretty ugly as the rust is scuffing off. Don't do this where you may need to panic stop either.

Bear in mind I'm looking at this pic on my phone, but it looks like heavy surface rust from here.
            Skip

Comment

I'm going to disagree with everyone (nothing new there, eh ). Well, I do agree that they are salvageable and you shouldn't have them turned.

I wouldn't sand them with any grade sand paper greater than 100. I would start with 60 grit sanding by hand and maybe go coarser. New discs usually come with a fairly coarse ground surface.

Going for a short drive will often clean off rusty brake rotors. The problem is sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't the rust can form a slick glazed surface and you will have very poor front brakes. If you decide to try it, be careful. You might also want to pull the brake pads and sand them on a flat surface with a relatively coarse sandpaper to expose a fresh surface. The last time I did this I used a set of old semi-metallic brake pads since they were very abrasive.

Hope this helps,

Kelley
              If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Yeah that helps looks like I got a lot to do this weekend. Good thing it is going to be nice out. I am also going to pull the rear drums and clean them up and order a few more parts to get the clubman running. Hope to get it on the road before next weekend.
                1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                1991 Black German mini
                2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Then you can bring it to the June meeting/photo shoot!
                  The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Yes I will be there.
                    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                    1991 Black German mini
                    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Yeah it is just surface rust. Sanded it all off. That is done.
                      1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                      1991 Black German mini
                      2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Working...
                      X