Moke Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moke Brakes

I'm helping a friend with his Moke and a front disk conversion, disks are on, no leaks in the lines, except he has this new split master cylinder.

No matter how hard we try and how many times we bleed there's no press in the pedal (meaning it goes to the floor and isn't pumping up)

Any suggestions would be welcomed...

Thank you!

Greg

connect pedal arm to master cylinder ..just kidding. Some times I have had to bleed air from the master right where the lines go in.
    "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
    ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
    '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
    '60 Morris Van - Marvan
    '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

In my experience you almost always need to bench bleed tandem master cylinders on a Mini.

To do this get 2 old brake lines w/ connectors and cut the lines so that they're about 2" long. Screw the lines into the master cylinder (you can leave it on the car) and put 2 pieces of clear tubing on the lines and run them into the brake fluid reservoir. Pump the master cylinder fairly slowly until no more air is seen in the tubing. Then swap the short lines for the real brake lines and bleed.

Good luck,

Kelley
      If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by mascher View Post
        In my experience you almost always need to bench bleed tandem master cylinders on a Mini.

To do this get 2 old brake lines w/ connectors and cut the lines so that they're about 2" long. Screw the lines into the master cylinder (you can leave it on the car) and put 2 pieces of clear tubing on the lines and run them into the brake fluid reservoir. Pump the master cylinder fairly slowly until no more air is seen in the tubing. Then swap the short lines for the real brake lines and bleed.

Good luck,

Kelley
        Thank you, we will try this this weekend

Greg

Comment

I second what Kelley has said about "bench" bleed. Then, As a Very Slight possibility, determine if, when the bleed screws are open, Extremely Slow depressions of the pedal allow for fluid flow.
          Finally, without moving the pedal at all, Crack the ( I assume, 8.4 inch brake type of ) caliper bleed screws and let fluid flow only with gravity.
          I once heard some talk about the proportioning valve holding air. I don't know Moke as well as I'd like, but check the rear subframe for brake line mounted little "canister" that is mounted on the rear subframe's cross web.

Also, as an Oz Mini fan, please let us know when we get to see this Oz Moke live! ( I see the Australian Design Rules placard. ) Or, at least try to get some pics posted up.

Best of luck, and let us know how it all goes.

MSH
          All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Success!

Thank to your suggestions, the bench bleed did work. Not so sure about the proportioning valve but we'll check that next time he's out this way.

Thank you!

Greg

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I second what Kelley has said about "bench" bleed. Then, As a Very Slight possibility, determine if, when the bleed screws are open, Extremely Slow depressions of the pedal allow for fluid flow.
            Finally, without moving the pedal at all, Crack the ( I assume, 8.4 inch brake type of ) caliper bleed screws and let fluid flow only with gravity.
            I once heard some talk about the proportioning valve holding air. I don't know Moke as well as I'd like, but check the rear subframe for brake line mounted little "canister" that is mounted on the rear subframe's cross web.

Also, as an Oz Mini fan, please let us know when we get to see this Oz Moke live! ( I see the Australian Design Rules placard. ) Or, at least try to get some pics posted up.

Best of luck, and let us know how it all goes.

MSH

Comment

Working...
            X