"Special Washer" for fitting CV shaft to wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Special Washer" for fitting CV shaft to wheel bearings

I am in the midst of converting my Inno from drums to 7.5" disc brakes, and in reading the Haynes Service & Repair Manual for 1969 - 2001, it calls for a "special washer that is required for fitting the driveshaft [to the swivel hub wheel bearings] on disc brake models. If necessary, make the washer from mild steel."

Specifically, this special washer is used in place of the split tapered collar (fitted between the driveshaft nut and the driving flange) when seating the CV shaft into the hub's wheel bearings. I apparently don't want to use the split tapered collar during this procedure because the collar might clamp to the CV shaft before the shaft is fully seated in the bearings.

Can anyone loan me their "special washer", or suggest an alternative method of seating the CV shaft into the wheel bearings? I assume this special washer is not something I'll find on the shelf of my local hardware store.

Thanks!
    Chad

For those of you who own this book, you'll find mention of this "special washer" on page 8-3 (Figure 2.20) and page 10-4 (Figure 3.12).
    Attached Files

Never used one. Never needed one. But you do have to be careful when torquing the big nut. I kind of use the do-it-up-by-hand-while-wiggling-all-the-bits-around (car bits!) method. Then I use a ratchet and socket only as tight as I can holding the driving flange by hand. Then go for the proper torque.

Problems usually arise if the CV is not pulled all the way through the driving flange and tapered washer and the tapered washer seated before starting to tighten.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Thanks Chuck.

I must be doing something wrong, or I'm not applying enough force. I couldn't get the CV pulled all the way through the driving flange last weekend. Not yet sure if I'll make it to the meeting tonight, but if I do, I'll bring it up in the technical discussion.

Comment

As many of you know from the March meeting's technical discussion, it turns out the root of my problem was that the drive flange was not fully seating onto the bolts on the brake rotor. Several of you suggested that I heat up the drive flange and cool down the bolts/rotor, thereby expanding the drive flange bolt holes and contracting the bolts. I finally got around to it this weekend, and it worked like a charm! We threw the rotors in the freezer and the flanges in the oven... 20 minutes later, voila! The assembly went together without much effort at all. Thanks to the meeting attendees for their helpful advice, and thanks to my friend Loren for his help on Saturday afternoon!

I'll install them on the driveshafts using Kelley's 'special washer' during my next work session. Hopefully without a hitch! (...fingers crossed...as this is what my original post was about...)

And now for the photos, which are my favorite part of any post:

Drive flanges in the oven...

Rotors in the freezer...

Assembled at last!

Driveshaft and hub waiting for rotors...

Comment

Working...
        X