Oil type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil type?

What kind of oil are you guys using or would recomend? Need to get mine changed out but was curious what you guys/gals were using? I've got a 998 motor in my car, and is the oil filter something I can pick up a local Auto store? Thanks, Bryan.
    Last edited by Old No.7; 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM.

I am picky about my mini oil these days (rebuilding engines for a living will do that to you). I use Joe Gibbs XP5 race oil. and Napa gold filter. Off the shelf oil is not made to protect our flat tappet cam!
    "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
    ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
    '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
    '60 Morris Van - Marvan
    '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

I thaught
      20/50 Castrol
      was the ultimate, what everybody should use.!!!????

Comment

Five quarts of Castrol GTX 20W-50, please, with a Bosch 3330 filter on the side (for the spin-on filter housing).

I buy my oil at Wal-Mart because they sell it in five-quart jugs and they'll take back the old stuff for recycling.

I swear by the Bosch filter because it's black and you can't see it through the grille.

Dan
        Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

Dan, I like your suggestion on the black filter, I don't really care to see the orange one through the grille! Little details, I like it! Where can I find these Bosch filters?

Comment

Bryan, the Bosch filters (which replace Fram's PH3600, I think) are available wherever finer auto products are sold. I just buy 'em at O'Reilly's or Autozone.

Dan
            Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by BIGSHOT View Post
              Bryan, the Bosch filters (which replace Fram's PH3600, I think) are available wherever finer auto products are sold. I just buy 'em at O'Reilly's or Autozone.

Dan
              Ah, very good! Thanks again for the help, you guys are awesome

Comment

Isn't a good idea to add a zinc additive when doing an oil change?

Comment

I agree with either the Bosch or Napa Gold. I think the Napa would be partnumber 1374 which crosses with a Wix 51374. If going to NAPA, phone ahead to confirm the number when Gold. Recently, the golds of two different possible part numbers were out, and the counterman told me it was because the mechanics will only take the gold when it is "those cars". Note: with the clubby nose, I can use a deeper/longer one with ease so I will take whichever he has in gold when I show up. In our case Bryan, we're lucky cause we have two diff choices to choose from close to home.

Beware: Oil Opinions, attitudes, hearsay, and perhaps even malarkey to follow!

On oil, I have some concerns about even the long standard Castrol GTX 20/50! ( I stand ready with Nomex suit and extinguisher! )

Recent studies from several race organizations are saying that the latest classifications of oil ( possibly sn? ), even in GTX 20/50, are using less zinc.
                  ( Thank you Ryan, for the lead in on this issue. ) Our flat tappet assemblies need the zinc! as James has said.

Maybe you could get the std GTX 20/50 and do the zinc additive. But, then, you might get very close to the cost of a six pack of really good oil that has other advantages than just the zinc.

Best of luck, and let us know what you find and for what cost!

MSH
                  All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

I'd highly suggest NOT using Fram as they are not what they used to be in terms of quality..

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

Instead, opt for Bosch, Purolator, Wix, Mobil1 or the Napa Gold.

Comment

like i said i use
                      20/50 Castrol GTX and the Filter either Wix or Carquest 85342
                      I think wix is a little longer filter then the others.
                      I use Zink additive " ZDD 1 from
                      Delta camshaft
                      2366 Tacoma Av Tacoma 98402 tel 253/3834152
                      I use 1 small bottle in 1 oelchange ( 5 quart oel )
                      1 bottle costs $ 8.50

peter

Comment

Again, thanks for everyone's input! Much appreciated.

I must say that I'm a bit of a oem snob when it comes to using parts for all my cars and don't care to use much in the aftermarket sense, but in some cases there isn't much of an option. I really have no problem using good/more expensive oil if I can find it on the shelf, but sounds like using some Zinc additive might be a good way to go if I'm using a "average" oil.

Comment

I just picked up a Universal Filter Italiana cartridge filter ( not spin on ) for the Cooper S at Autosport. I hadn't heard of them either but the usuall extensive internet research turned up a Ferrari forum swearing by them, the FACTORY used them ya know. They also liked a brand called Baldwin, available at some local marine suppliers.

So James T, what oil filter do you use on those Ferrari motors at work?

Don

Comment

hey Don,
                            The cars we have that use cartridge filters....we use Baldwin. Fortunately most of the cars have spin on filters. On race cars ...we use Wix Racing filters (Napa gold are made by Wix). If it is a show car ....the FACTORY used FRAM filters so.....they have to LOOK correct. If you know what I mean
                            "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
                            ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
                            '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
                            '60 Morris Van - Marvan
                            '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

James, how about just spray painting a Wix or other filter orange...

That way you don't have to think (worry) about hot glued cardboard internals 'protecting' 6-figure engines..

Comment

Working...
                              X