Change brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change brakes

Need some help to change the front disc brakes on my mini. The nut I need to take the rotors off just won't break loose. If anyone is willing to help let me know. Thanks.

Chris
    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Do you have a impact gun?

Comment

No I do not have an impact gun.
      1971 mini Clubman Turbo
      1991 Black German mini
      2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

That nut is tightened at between 188 lb-ft and 200 lb-ft. It's going to take an impact gun or a stout breaker bar and piece of pipe. You also need something to keep the hub from moving. I use a piece of heavy steel channel interleaved between the lug nuts (with the wheel off) so it bears against the floor.

Good luck and don't hurt yourself,

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Yeah I tried the breaker bar with a pipe over it and interweaving the lugs with something and nothing. I guess I will go get an impact gun tomorrow. Any recommendations on which one to get?
          1971 mini Clubman Turbo
          1991 Black German mini
          2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I think you are on the right path tool wise. Now, Get PB Blaster, the penetrant, and completely soak the nut and all of the threads. Let it sit, then tap the nut and area, NOT steel to steel, and then apply more PB. With the penetrant, time is your friend, so apply Before you get a beer.

Perhaps you have either a brass, plastic or other hammer to jar it? Maybe even protect the area with a chunk of hardwood and hit the wood with a steel hammer?

PB is excellent, and it known to be quite a cologne if you plan on going out for St. Valentines Day!

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.
            MSH
            All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Ok yeah I have used PB Blaster before. I will pick some up while I pick up the impact gun. I will update as I go. And will post up pics.
              1971 mini Clubman Turbo
              1991 Black German mini
              2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

You'll probably need an air impact wrench with torque above 300 lb-ft but I can't say how much higher will be necessary. No experience with electric impact tools.

Kelley
                If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Picked up some PB Blaster and an impact gun. Got one good for 350 lbs. Hope it works. I also got a torque wrench, if I get the nut off what should I torque the nut to? Also with the nuts that hold the lugs on the rotor on should those be torqued to a certain point?
                  1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                  1991 Black German mini
                  2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Yeah Its not going to happen, still nothing. Anyone got a torch because it looks like that is the only way to get it off.

Here is what the left side looks like before I started. The right side is worse.
                    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                    1991 Black German mini
                    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

CV nut. Check to see if one hole or two through the CV axle. Two holes: 150 lb.ft. One hole: 188-200 lb.ft.

Not sure what nuts you mean.
                      The disc to hub flange bolts: 42 lb.ft.
                      Caliper to hub bolts: 40 lb.ft.
                      Ball joints. 40 lb.ft.
                      Steering tire rod end nut: 25 lb.ft.
                      Lug nuts: 40 lb.ft.

All these would be in your manual, with slight variations.
                      Last edited by Cheleker; 03-02-2012, 02:46 PM. Reason: Correct one hole/two-hole specs. (Thanks, Don.)
                      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Anyone have a torch it looks like heat is the only way to brake the CV nut free?
                        1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                        1991 Black German mini
                        2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

If a 350 lb.ft. rated rattle gun won't take that nut off, I suspect you are going to find other problems...or the rating is off.

You can cut and split the nut(s), too.
                          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I have given up right now, I will try again later. My buddy has a impact gun will see what it is rated for and try it. Won't get back to the brakes until the end of the week when he has off on Thursday or Friday.
                            1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                            1991 Black German mini
                            2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

So I went down to Group 2 and had them brake the CV nuts loose for me. Really nice group of people to have work done on the mini. Will definitely have them work on my mini again if I can't do it myself. So tomorrow I will be changing my brakes and removing my tint on my back windows.
                              1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                              1991 Black German mini
                              2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Working...
                              X