Coolant hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant hose

Trying to install an engine Stabilizer in my 1275cc and there is a hose in the way not sure what it is for. It is the one that runs from the firewall to the thermostat.

This is the part I am installing http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/MS.../InvDetail.cfm

1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Hi, Is that the hose that goes from the block / stat to the heater core? It looks like it. Maybe you could install a longer hose to "rise above" the stabilizer? Maybe it is an issue of early heater core feed/return hoses and related stabilizers versus later hoses and stabilizers?

I'm going to look at a couple pics later and try and learn this for myself, and will repost if someone else doesn't answer first.

A possible tip would be to go to the "very late cars" exploded diagrams on the tech pages of MM to see how the stock hoses and stabilizers worked from Rover directly. ( I remember a clicky box on those pages that takes you to the Rover related stuff. )

Best of luck, and,
    Best regards,
    MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

That is the late style heater hose position. It is used with late cylinder heads the do not have a heater valve in the traditional spot on the clutch side of the head. I notice from your pic that you have both....??????? looks like you need to re-hose your heater.
      "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
      ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
      '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
      '60 Morris Van - Marvan
      '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Yeah I thought it is for the heater. Not sure how it is suppose to be. Won't be able to come out to the meetings until the school quarter ends in December as I have night classes on Tuesdays for anyone to look at it in person. Right now I don't have heat in the mini, it blows cold air inside. I looked at the diagrams for the mini on mini mania but didn't find what I was looking for. Let me know if you find anything out. thanks

chris
        1971 mini Clubman Turbo
        1991 Black German mini
        2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Hi, If your blower fan works, find a valve on -or - connected to the hoses that enter and leave the engine compartment. They might be on your cyl head, and then have the hose leave from there to the firewall, or they might be literally hanging off of the hose with a control cable that feeds back thru the firewall just like the hoses do.
          Turn or manipulate that valve carefully, and have a friend look to see if the heater control knob on the dash area wiggles while you do so. Practice, and be gentle. If it is the hose mounted valve, it likes to break - alot.
          Figure out the valves open position, usually if a "wand" or control arm is on the valve; the open position is in line with the hose it is riding.
          Once you have opened the valve and the cars rad and stat are warm, check for leaks in the passenger compartment to see if the valve was turned off to stop your heater's core from leaking onto your carpet.

Make sure the whole coolant system is free of leaks, and this time of year, don't scrimp and save using water only. Get coolant/antifreeze in your system.

Post back and let us know if you have warmth in that blowing heat. I hope I haven't gone too far with the obvious stuff for you. Let me know, and,
          Best regards,
          MSH

Comment

Hi, If your blower fan works, find a valve on -or - connected to the hoses that enter and leave the engine compartment. They might be on your cyl head, and then have the hose leave from there to the firewall, or they might be literally hanging off of the hose with a control cable that feeds back thru the firewall just like the hoses do. ( Edit: I think I see your control valve riding a hose in your pic. Check to see which hoses go where.
            Turn or manipulate that valve carefully, and have a friend look to see if the heater control knob on the dash area wiggles while you do so. Practice, and be gentle. If it is the hose mounted valve, it likes to break - alot.
            Figure out the valves open position, usually if a "wand" or control arm is on the valve; the open position is in line with the hose it is riding.
            Once you have opened the valve and the cars rad and stat are warm, check for leaks in the passenger compartment to see if the valve was turned off to stop your heater's core from leaking onto your carpet.

Make sure the whole coolant system is free of leaks, and this time of year, don't scrimp and save by using water only. Get coolant/antifreeze in your system.

I'm not sure your hoses are correct, so follow James' suggestion and get new heater hose from head to heater core and back.

Post back and let us know if you have warmth in that blowing heat. I hope I haven't gone too far with the obvious stuff for you. Let me know, and,
            Best regards,
            MSH
            Last edited by Mark; 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM. Reason: saw control valve with cable in photo

Comment

I have hoses connected to each other on the right hand side of the heater inside the mini I am sure they are for the heater will reconnect to see if it works. I won't be able to get around to it until Monday as my girlfriend gets back from deployment tomorrow so I won't be home this weekend. But will connect them to the heater and let you know what i come up with there.

here is a pic of the hoses on the heater the ribbed hose is unplugged so you can see the hose behind it better.

1971 mini Clubman Turbo
              1991 Black German mini
              2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Seeing that, I will raise my leaking heater core to almost certainty. Prior to trying to reconnect anything, drain out as much coolant into a bucket and save it. Then get a low profile, but large, pan of some kind to catch the
                "stuff" that I think will come out of your core when you pull the patch hose piece.
                Can you get a plug of some kind for your heater hose's diameter - like wine bottle corks, or very large bolts, or something in place prior to disconnecting them? Since you are probably at the low point of the system, you may be draining alot of coolant through a disconnected heater hose if you aren't careful. Get a whole bunch of plastic sheeting with a whole bunch of absorbant cloths to avoid that sickly sweet coolant smell from becoming a permanent part of your interior.

Good luck with it. I MIGHT have a line on a replacement, NOT new heater core if you have to go down that road. ( don't know about late car core compatibility, especially german spec. )

THANK YOUR GIRLFRIEND for her service to our country every day, but especially this Friday Nov 11th and this weekend. I'm serious. You are a lucky man to have a lady who is willing to serve. Then, thank her for all of us who have time to spend on the internet messing around writing about LBC's!!

Best regards,
                MSH

Comment

I 2nd what Mark said find out what is up with the heater core...I would take the heater all the way out of the car to test it. It's fairly easy to get out and the hoses are already disconnected! See if the core leaks before making a mess inside the car.
                  "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
                  ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
                  '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
                  '60 Morris Van - Marvan
                  '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Regarding the stabilizer: "The original ultimate engine stabilizer kit fits all 1275cc cylinder heads for LHD cars; except those with the thermostat sandwich pad."
                    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

How do I test the heater core when I get it removed. I am a newbie, never was this involved in this kind of stuff with cars. I did not know the stabilizer wasn't made for mine until I got it. 7ent.com has one for engines with the sandwich plate might get that and new bushings for the arm to the other side too.
                      1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                      1991 Black German mini
                      2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Take the heater core to a local radiator shop, have them pressure test/repair any leaks. Inexpensive way to insure that coolant doesn't soak into your carpeting-nasty.

Comment

Working...
                        X