another RHD conversion thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another RHD conversion thread...

Hey guys, I know this has been hashed out more than once, but I. Am hoping for a little more technical info and specifications to put the steering wheel in my canadian back where I think it belongs. I am having my pedal box custom fabricated, either billet aluminum, ot steel with the billet look (cost is always a factor to some extent.) So, here are my questions:
    1. Can I reuse the existing brake and clutch lines, and if not, is it cheaper to make new ones, orjust order from MiniSport or somewhere?
    2. Does everything on the firewall need to be reversed?
    3. Will I need new tie rods or other suspension parts (control arms, spindles, etc.) or just the rack itself?
    4. Is there anything else I should be aware of? (Wiper conversion already factored)

I have the mechanical aptitude and knowhow to handle the job, and should have all the tools I need (thank you Snap-On) I just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

You will need a new steering rack, but nothing else in the suspension area. You should be able to use the same pedal box, but you will need a RH gas pedal as they are shaped different to allow for the RH side wheel well intrusion. You move the master cylinders over, and the make up new brake lines and clutch lines to suit. You would not be able to reuse the original one. Don't forget to move the steering column over as well! :0
    Happy Mini-ing...Mike

Comment

To do a complete job, you'd also need to swap over the wiper motor, wheel boxes and wiper arms so that they park in front of the passenger.

Don't forget to have the toe out reset after the steering rack has been changed.

My suggestion would be to leave the car LHD as it was built and spend the money and time elsewhere.
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Working...
      X