Message from Paule.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message from Paule.

I am forwarding a request from our newest member, Paule of Shelton. He can not respond or post yet but is anxious to get some info on pepping up his 1979 Canadian 1000 Mini. He is an experienced mechanic but would appreciate any help on getting more HP out of the old girl. If you have any pointers, please post your best. Thanks, Paule.......and Carl.
    It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

C-STN17-Stage one kit. The kit includes a Freeflow exhaust manifold, alloy inlet manifold, performance exhaust system and fitting kit, K&N air filter. Supposed to be good for about 20% increase in HP. Then, of course, there's the ISKY torquer cam and cylinder head.........

Comment

For bolt on bhp, the kit as recommended by Jerry is the one. (It also includes a good guess at the correct needle.) Also, ditch the air pump and plug the holes in the cylinder head.

But before doing any of that, I encourage people to go through the suspension and swap out the dual leaking shoe brakes for S discs in front and wider drums with the proper wheel cylinders in the rear.

After the stage one kit would come a better head and cam. But don't go too far in chasing horsepower in a 998. Before you can get to the same bhp you'd get from a box stock 1275, the wonderful 998 engine starts to become not so pleasant to drive in a "daily basis" manner.
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Have Paule contact me..I just put that engine in the car Engine is from a '76 with the smog pump already removed. It has a small bore LCB and K&N already. I think the needle is close ..although I never had it an the dyno. Upgraded to a duplex timing chain about 4K ago. The car dose have "S" brakes as well
        "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
        ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
        '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
        '60 Morris Van - Marvan
        '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

If Paule would like to get registered for the forums he can contact me at [email protected]. I don't check this email address as often as I should but it is currently the official email contact for forum registration.

Kelley
          If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I hear those 998's are BULLET PROOF!

Don

Comment

Round up a 12G295 head.

Don

Comment

Bullet proof!

Bullet proof, but not rod proof!

Comment

Paule here, I am now registered, thank you all for your help.

Comment

Welcome!

Welcome, officially to the site and club Paule! I hope you got some good ideas for the 79'. Stage one is a good sound, and a good jump in HP. Good luck with all the mods, I'll definitely drop by here and there to check out your work.

Comment

Working...
                    X