To Goop or Not to Goop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Goop or Not to Goop?

When replacing the water-neck gasket(s) who goops with RTV Silicone or other sealer? Who does not goop and why?

I know with small-block Chev and Pontiac water-necks you goop then up good. Especially those crappy chrome ones that never seal until you lightly sandblast the chrome off of the mating surfaces. Good trick for any water-neck that is not warped but still leaks the etching from the sandblasting creates tooth for the sealant and gasket.
    Skip

What I do is to insure that the mating surface is perfectly (?) even by sanding thermostat housing with 600 grit sandpaper on a piece of glass. Then I use an aviation grade sealant made by Form-a-Gasket. Seems to work for me.

Comment

Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket Sealant Liquid #80019. LIGHT skim between head and gasket and between gasket and heater valve.
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I sand surface flat as well. But use a THIN smeer of NAPA Ultra black RTV. We use the same sealer on all the show/race cars at work as well.
        "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
        ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
        '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
        '60 Morris Van - Marvan
        '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Do just as Jerry mentions. That sequence has worked well for me in the past as well. The cleaner and flatter the pieces, the better your resulting seal.

Comment

Working...
          X