The Outer Limits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Outer Limits...

I just performed my bi-weekly (yeah, right ) brake adjust on the '63. One rear adjuster is maxed out and one front adjuster (twin leading shoe) is also not responding to rotation. I have plenty of shoe left. Are my Minilite drums worn out? Whaaaaaa....
    What's the maximum diameter for Mini drums? Who's got the tool to measure them ?

Don

I can measure them, I just don't know what the maximum ID is. Is it possible you have the shoes on the rear on upside down and that is limiting the range of adjustment? I don't even know if that's possible. Something not right with the wedges?

What you're seeing on the front adjusters is quite common. What you have to do is pull the front drums and work the front adjusters from the inside with a pair of Vicegrips and some penetrating fluid. If you try to free them from the outside the odds are very good that you will round of the adjusters.

You probably know all of this already but I thought I would mention it.

Cheers,

Kelley
    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Thanks Kelley,
      I'll recheck the rear shoes for upside downness. The wedges are free other than when the screw forces them to the limit of their housing.
      The front adjuster in question is turning freely, just never causes the shoe to contact the drum with any sort of authority. The best part was trying to hear shoe-drum contact with a small plane doing manoeuvres just over head. I thought I lived in the city to avoid that sort of thing!
      Don

Yes, I had to look up the spelling of "manoeuvres", turns out we Americans don't use the "o"

Comment

Max recommended inside diameter for drums is 179.3mm, approx 7.06". That's not much over standard at 7".

Over turned drums, worn adjusters, worn faces on the wedges, worn shoes, shoes installed incorrectly...any and all can be contributing factors.
        Last edited by Cheleker; 02-17-2008, 10:06 AM.
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

to all:
          is this another case like the pedal to engagement of the transmission where each step of the mechanical adds to the sum total of grief you get trying to adjust it? just curious.
          Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

This is another case where wear in different parts can stack up. In my experience though, it's unusual to see it in drum brakes. The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to suggest that Don's brake shoes may be more worn than he thinks.

Cheers,

Kelley
            If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

so, don? was it worn drums?

on a side note on brakes, i'm lazy and don't want to research. who has the best deal on "s" disc brakes (want some that will fit 10" wheels and all i have are 8.4's for the pick up.
              Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Haritage,-(949-646-6404)
                Just got a conversion "kit" together from them for just over $1,000 after tax and shipping.
                "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
                ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
                '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
                '60 Morris Van - Marvan
                '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

I was able to get one more adjustment outta the brakes so that'll do for now. I need to take Kelley up on measuring the drums and I'll measure the lining thickness. Many irons in the fire including Group 2 this weekend, don't want to pull the '63 off the road just now.
                  And thanks everyone for not pointing out that the drums are MiniFINS, not MiniLITES.
                  Don

Comment

And so.... 8 months later....
                    The minifins measured 7.04 to 7.05 so are still within the limit of 7.06 but not by much. The shoes eyeball at still having 3/32" at the thinest. Rear adjustment wedges needed oil and encouragement to return home.
                    New linings from Metal Frictions in Lake City and I'm on the road again, but for how long?
                    Kelley was right, the shoes were worn.
                    Don

Comment

Working...
                    X