glowing red light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glowing red light

my alternator light has been faintly glowing lately(when the engine is running). It seems to fade as rpm increases. The fan belt is tight, the battery isnt very old, am I looking at replacing my alternator in the near future?

why bother, get a different car........, or replace the engine,
    sorry , just kidding.
    Peter

Comment

You may have an alternator problem. You may also have a problem with the connections to the alternator. Make sure the connections in the alternator are clean and shiney and the same at the other end of the wires. The smaller brown wire on the alternator bundle is the voltage sense wire and I think it could cause the problem you're seeing. Make sure everything is clean before you buy an alternator. You may be surprised to find that you can get a rebuilt unit at your local parts store.

Cheers,

Kelley
      If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Much Thanks. I'll clean everything up before I go shopping for a new one. (alternator that is)

Comment

Don't forget the grounds!
          They are often overlooked but they are every bit as important as the "hot" wires in completing a circuit!
          Mark Gnagy

Comment

I second that! Some times the boot has been repainted and the grounding connection for the bat. cable is not cleaned befor reconnecting the cable. Witch causes the entire system to ground through the threads of the mounting bolt.
            "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
            ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
            '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
            '60 Morris Van - Marvan
            '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

The more I think of it, if the light fades and surges consistantly with rpm, then it's almost always the voltage output from the charging system...............................maybe lol.
              "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
              ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
              '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
              '60 Morris Van - Marvan
              '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Working...
              X