Bonnet Stripes Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet Stripes Anyone?

Where's a good place to get bonnet stripes applied? I know, it will ruin the originality of my all-white '79 (Mrs. Beavan would most likely have disapproved) but I'm thinking a pair of black stripes would break up the monotony of the all-white finish. Anyone done this themselves successfully or had it done by a good local source? If you've done this yourself, where did you get the stripes?

Bill
    '79 Austin Mini 1000

Don't do it!!!

Comment

But if you must.....Back a long, long time ago we used 3M sheet vinyl for all the graphics on our race car. Easy to apply. Fill a bucket with water and add a little dishwashing detergent. Wet the surface and slide the stripes into place then use a small squeegee to get everything nice and smooth with no air bubbles. If the air bubbles don't squeegee out or it's a problem getting the stripes to slide into place use a little more soap in the water. No problem removing with a hair dryer. Mrs. Beavan will never suspect a thing.
      Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
      1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

But if you must....How bout putting them crosswise ala the TR250?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TR...encia_Blue.jpg

Don

Comment

I like stripes..BUT ONLY IF THE TOP IS THE SAME COLOR. Wasn't it Visard's hill climb car that had a cross wise checkerd stripe?
          "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
          ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
          '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
          '60 Morris Van - Marvan
          '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

try accutint in bellevue. ask for tim he use to have minis and i believe his company can make and install them.

leon

Comment

Agree with Jerry. As much of a cliche as white roofs on red Minis.
              The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Do It!

Stripes are cool! Especially with the matching top! They can be award winning too!B 112.JPG
                It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Something to consider before adding Stripes or stickers over painted surfaces. Vinyl Stripes and Stickers mask off your paint to sun fade. While the unmasked area fades out over time the paint under the stripe remains about the same as it was when the vinyl was applied. Red is the worst as it eventually "pinks" out.

Used to work in my aunt and uncle's sign shop and removed a lot of vinyl to either refresh or update the vehicles signage. I can tell you from experience that all automotive colors fade. Even black and white!

If I were going to do it; it would have to be a painted on stripe so that it would be a permanent part of the paint work. Not a big fan of hood stripes on Minis though.
                  Skip

Comment

Stripes are a personal choice! I have thought about it on one of my minis, with this one probably being my first choice.

Tim

http://www.aestheticreations.net/gra...tic-Bonnet.jpg
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Comment

Thanks to all of you who responded including some discussions I had with some of you at today's meeting. As such, I've decided not to put bonnet stripes on Mrs. Beavan's mini. I think she would have been OK with that. :-)

Bill
                      '79 Austin Mini 1000

Comment

Bill, Of course, whatever choice you make, it is correct for your car. Knowing the car I think you've made the right one. Others, even the stripe lovers, would probably lean more toward no stripes if they knew your car, too.
                        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Well said, Chuck.

Comment

Stripes.

After seeing the car again and realizing it's very stock appearance, the choice to keep it that way is the best indeed. Stripes fit some cars, be they across the bonnet or front to back, but some cars are best left alone as they rolled off the Longbridge plant floor. Great subject guys!
                            It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Working...
                            X