'66 S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '66 S

I've cleaned up the detritus from Rusty to the point where I can actually see my next challenge, a MK I Cooper S. Ths car has been sitting since 1971 so the bounce has gone from it's bungee, AKA the Hydrolastic suspension. I'd like to recharge the system to locate "issues" before final disassembly and barging off to Gunnar's.

Can I use compressed air for a quick test or is the correct liquid solution required? Seattle's water pressure is about 65 PSI, maybe I could.....

I'm hoping to use the orginal cones. Is this at all possible in a car sitting this long?

Thanks ahead of time to those with Hydro experience.

Don

Can't answer any of the questions with any degree of certainty.

Still good after all these years? Possibly, depending upon storage and what kind of shape the system was in when last on the road. Hydrolastic is amazingly resilient as long as the system was up and full of fluid when the car was taken off of the road. Of course, warm, dry storage would help, too. Otherwise, you're facing rusted pipes and fittings and rotted hoses. The only way to tell would be to evacuate the system properly. If it holds a vacuum, you're part way there. Then start the pump up procedure...with fingers crossed.
    As for testing with water, I'd stay away from introducing more water into the system.
    And as for air...can't say how that would work.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

So enough with the shortcuts! Kelley called to reinforce Chuck's advice. I'll go ahead and evacuate then charge the hydro system with the proper fluid mixture including an anti corrosion additive using a proper pump. Inspect for leaks/cracks. Then I'll evacuate again before disassembly, naturally leaving a bit of anti corrosion protection in the system to await reassembly.

Thanks!
      Don

Comment

When taken apart, the fore/aft pipes and the ends of the hoses can and should be plugged. Check the bags for colored markings -- either as bands on the hoses or on the bags. Make sure you mark the bags as front or rear.

Comment

While the Cooper is registered as a '66 it was actually built in November of '65. John Parnell's excellent book on the Coopers states than a '65 would have a oil cooler mounted vertically below the dynamo instead of horizontally directly behind the grille as in cars built since January '66. A previous owner still has the original, vertical, cooler!

What nose should I put on the car? One with a vertical brace like a standard Mini or one with the Cooper diagonal brace? The original nose is missing.

Don

Comment

Vertical brace with vertical cooler. Diagonal brace was introduced with the behind grille cooler. Front end should also have "cut outs" for brake cooling on the outer edges.

Comment

Hydro system

related question.::
              The end of the hoses ( from where you pump up or decrease the system )on both sides of the car. located in th rear below the bumper.
              What kind of plug can I use to cover the end of the pipe. I s there an offical part.??
              Peter

Comment

If you mean a cap to screw on to cover the shrader (sp?) valve, just use any tire valve cover cap. The originals were metal, but it really doesn't make any difference.

Comment

hydro lastic

yes, thats what I meant

thanks.
                  Peter

Comment

Hydro Brew Ha Ha

I seem to be a little low on sodium mercaptobenzothiazole and triethanolamine phosphate. I only need 1.279999998647 fluid ounces or 37.8541178 milliliters of each. If you have some you can spare give me a shout.

OR

If you know what "off the shelf" corrosion inhibitor I might add to the distilled water and alcohol mixture for hydrolastic fluid let me know.

BWAA HA HA!!!!
                    Don

Comment

Next time you're in your labORatory, Don, have Igor mix up some alcohol and antifreeze. I think all the mad scientists use that.

Dan
                      Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Prestone makes something called Super Anti-Rust for coolant systems. It should work. There are also other brands that supply a combination waterpump lubricant and anti-rust additive. They usually come in small bottles similar in size to 2-cycle oil. One bottle is often good for a 12 quart cooling system so you really shouldn't need much for a Hydrolastic suspension system.

Cheers,

Kelley
                        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I was concerned that the Prestone Super Anti-Rust might need engine heat to thoroughly mix with the other ingredients. Nooooo problem.....I mixed 5ounces of the Prestone with a half gallon of de-natured alcohol and the jug... got.....really...WARM! Quick with a half gallon of distilled water and I had a very nice hand warmer for 10 minutes. Bwaaa Haa Haa!
                          The car pumped up nicely! The front was way high but then there's no motor. Standing on the front subframe brought things into balance. No leaks so far, I'll check tomorrow.

Don

Denatured alcohol + sodium petroleum sulfonate= HEAT

Comment

Don was working in the lab, late one night......
                            When are we going to get you a lab coat, Don!

That's very cool that you are pumped up and holding pressure!! Way to go!

Was this hydro set up assembled from all of those original components, or did you have to supplement from other supplies?

Good luck with it.
                            MSH
                            All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

The disassembly of the car in '71 stopped before removing the subframes so the hydro system was never opened up. All original components I think.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X