Coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant leak

I'm having a heck of a time diagnosing a small coolant leak. It only happens when the car is hot, I can find no wet spots around any hose connections, at the head, or around the water pump. But there is a drip along the bottom of the timing cover below the crank coming from who knows where. Why is it mini problems are always tucked away and hidden behind under or around something else, I'm ready to get the chainsaw out, or start drinking.....

suggestions?

Greg

Don't you mean "and start drinking"?

It could be the water pump. Either the gasket or the seal in the pump from the description of the drip.

Have you let the engine run while the car is stationary and see if there is a leak?

Kelley
    If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Borrow a coolant system pressurisation pump, it takes the place of your radiator cap,from your local NAPA store. Pump it up to the pressure listed on your cap and then watch for leaks. Your bypass hose is my wild guess.

Don

Comment

Bypass hose and water pump would be my two favorite guesses.
        I have a system pressurizer.
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by Cheleker View Post
          Bypass hose and water pump would be my two favorite guesses.
          I have a system pressurizer.
          fantastic idea! I'll run down and get one tomorrow, should be easier to diagnose with that and a good cabernet.

Comment

It worked

Good news, it worked, found a small split in the lower hose just after the water pump. Bad news $229 for a replacement.....ouch. I've cut the bad end off and reattached the hose, but noticed the inner rubber easily split when flexed, guess I'll need to buy new.

Thanks for the help though, booze helped too.

Greg

Comment

Greg, spend a little more (double ouch, I know) and get silicone hoses. They aren't cheap, but they should far outlast rubber and Kevlar. If you don't like the high-decibel red and blue material, Graham at Heritage Garage sells black ones.

Dan
              Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Not sure if the already expensive "octopus" hoses are available in silicone.
                The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Mini Spares

Originally posted by BIGSHOT View Post
                  Greg, spend a little more (double ouch, I know) and get silicone hoses. They aren't cheap, but they should far outlast rubber and Kevlar. If you don't like the high-decibel red and blue material, Graham at Heritage Garage sells black ones.

Dan
                  Found the blue one at Mini Spares, with shipping today it'll run about $140.

thanks for the tip I didn't think of Heritage, I'll make sure to check them also next time.

might as well get the one from England (except they smell like beer)

Greg

Comment

Mini Spares should be doing a group buy on them soon. I saw a post on The Mini Forum about it a little bit ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X