Oil "Light".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil "Light".

I know most of us in the club don't have an "Oil Light", but us with the Rover variant do, and mine is on the blink,....literally. After a short jaunt recently I found my Oil light coming on whilst at a stand still/idling, then when I gave it the beans it went out. So check the oil, was the first thing to pop into mind...... a wee bit low, but nothing that would seem to necessitate the light to come on. Sometimes the light will stay on at speed (I say that loosely) other times it will go out at speed?!?! Not a very consistent piece of British engineering.....could it be electrics (never a Lucus part) or could it be a oil pump? All the pertinent bits (valves included) are getting oil, there is not excessive leakage (a drop occasionally), and it doesn't smoke like a trooper.
    Any help would be most appreciated.
    It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Lifted from Mini Mania:

Oil pressure problems caused by relief valve - ball bearing mod

Many A-series engines, especially 1275cc, suffer from low or inconstent oil pressure. If this is not caused by a worn crank or bearings, it is often caused by the oil pressure relief valve. This can get jammed or partly stuck open, leading to low oil pressure readings.

A common modification is to remove the oil pressure relief valve plunger, cut a coil or two off the relief valve spring, and replace the plunger with a 9/16" ball bearing (that can be had from a bearing company or an old CV joint). To start with, cut one coil from the spring, then start the engine. Remove more coils until the oil pressure is around 60 psi (any more is wasteful, a lot more will just force oil to leak from the engine). Oil pressure should be relatively constant over the rev range with this modification.

Don

Comment

Easier fix...........Get a mini without a oil light or buzzer.

Comment

The important part of Don's post is checking the valve to make sure it is not stuck in place.
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

So Carl....Did you fix the issue causing the oil light to come on?

Comment

Oil light

Yeah, just pull the electrical sensor, HAHAHAHAHA! Oh then order a new one....it's on the way.
            It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Working...
            X