Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter element

Mornin'

I am in need of a new air filter element for my '67 with a 998 and single carburetor.

Mini Mania where I usually do my parts shopping is showing a paper filter GFE1038 but is indicating it is good for Cooper and S models only of which it needs two. Is this the same element for the single carburetor models? I don't see any other listings for anything else that is close.

They also have a K&N replacement E9001 but again not referencing the standard model.

The picture sure looks like it, I guess I will have to measure when I get home to see if it matches but I thought this learned group might have the answer off the top of their head.

Thanks,

Craig

Which carb and which air filter box? HS2 998 would be different than HS4 998.
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I have no idea which carb or filter box beyond that the filter housing is round.

Is the carburetor type stamped on the housing somewhere? Or is there some visual clue to differentiate them?

Craig

Comment

if you can figure out the K&N # (I stole the part number off minimania for my stock '89 998 airbox) - you can order a new K&N at Autozone for much cheaper (and no shipping fee).
        British eyes... only

Comment

Craig, post a photo.
          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Craig,
            Ten inch O.D. 2" tall black plastic doh!nut housing? Have your local NAPA store ship in an air filter for an Austin America. I think it's their part no. 2154. Bring in your old filter for comparison.

Don

Comment

I could not figure out how to link a photo but I think I am dealing with an HS2. I brought the filter element with me today and will match it up with the dimesions given for replacements.

Comment

As it turns out the E9001 K&N filter works fine. I ordered one direct from K&N as none of the local auto parts suppliers had them and they could order them but for $5-10 more than I could get it direct.

Comment

The filter that fit both the metal housing on my '63 and the plastic housing on the '69 ( both HS4 ) was for an Austin America, Napa 542154 aka Wix 42154. Nice heavy expanded metal mesh surround to resist crushing. I use the past tense because it has been declared obsolete by Wix. Took a look at Wix 46094 but found it 1/8" too short.
                  Using the dimensions of 2 1/8" tall x 6 1/4" I.D. x 8 1/4" O.D. I am now using a reusable K&N E-2600. Fits well, $38 plus shipping.

Don

Comment

Working...
                  X