Motor Trend and Minis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Trend and Minis

Occasionally, my neighbor passes on old copies of his car magazines. One is Motor Trend. Never been my favorite car magazine. Evidentally, MT is celebrating its 60th year in business and, evidentally starting with the September issue, they've been looking back at the "best" of the car world.

The September issue had a fun article called, "The 60 Coolest Cars" from the years they have been publishing, 1949 - 2009. Although they were sorted in a random order, the second one listed was, "1963 Austin Mini Cooper S" with a short description of, "Grand Prix engineering shoehorned into the Gucci loafer of micro cars." Kudos for recognizing the car. Not expected from MT, but that description...

The December issue deals with "Magical Motorsport Moments." Number 18 is, "Le Giant Killer." Good recognition, even if the description is incorrect. "The Mini was never designed to be a racer, but it sure became one. Paddy Hopkirk, Timo Makinen, and Rauno Aaltonen team to take the overall victory at the 1964 Rallye Monte Carlo. Hopkirk backs it up with another win in 1965, but is denied the hat-trick in '66 when the entry is disqualified by the French officials...over illegal driving lights. Poetic justice: Mini wins again in '67."
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.
Working...
X