South Africa Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa Trip

He's at it, again! Some high points follow if you want to follow along in your song book (good South African map.)

Following Ryno Verster's trip to the U.S. in June/July (we drove two of my South African Minis 6,000 miles to and from Mini Meet with other SAMOA members -- see Dan's photos), he's invited me to South Africa for a little jaunt. We have a "one lap of South Africa" planned, among other things.
    I fly to S.A. on the Aug. 13th to help Ryno finish getting two Wolseley 1000s ready for the road trip. The 23d I'll be at the Jo'burg area Mini 50th and on the 24th we head out on a 25 day adventure circumnavigating South Africa in a counterclockwise direction.
    The first "leg" will take us down the west coast with a stop for a couple of days at Paternoster for side trips, photo ops at Wolseley, and then three days near Cape Town with Ryno's daughter and family. We should reach Wolseley and Milnerton (near Cape Town) by Sunday the 30th.
    The next leg takes us along the south and east coasts as far as St. Lucia Wetland Park via/passing through Port Elizabeth (Sept 5), East London (Sept 6), Kokstad (Sept 7), and Durban (Sept 8).
    Next comes a trip clockwise around the west side of Swaziland and into Kruger National Part at the Witrivier Gate on Sept. 12. We'll continue north exiting the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park at the Pafuri Gate and ending up at Tshipise on Sept 15.
    The final leg takes us on R572 and R510 through Thabazimbi and back to Ryno's near Pretoria by the 17th. I stay as a guest of the Versters until I fly out on the 27th. (It will probably take that long to clean up the cars!)
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Way to go, Chuck! Have a great trip, and we'll look forward to hearing the stories when you return!
    Best regards,
    MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Have safe travels and an enjoyable trip!
      Tom
      My Mini is plastic.

Comment

I always felt the better route was counter-clockwise UP the Swazi border and crossing over to Tshipise. That way, your Thabazimbi doesn't get quite so sore.

Sounds like a spectacular trip, though. Have a Great Limpopo.

Dan
        Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Have a great time Chuck, smooth landings.
          Dale

Comment

Chuck, Have a great time. I think what Dan was eluding to was make sure you get the seat with the most padding! Be safe, you are an irreplaceable asset to the Mini community!

Do I detect a jello-us tone to Dan's reply? Sounds like he wants to do more wild life harassment (As pictured in his avatar!) on another contenant!!!! What could be bolder than staring down a bovine with a Red Mini!!
            Skip

Comment

Skip, You haven't stared out the windscreen of a Mini at an elephant. They're REALLY big!

Comment

Short update.
                It wasn't to be. After working on the two Minis for a week before leaving Ryno's, the Wolseley I was driving packed it in, in a big way less than 1/2 way into the first day. Likely internal damage on what was supposed to have been a newly rebuilt engine.
                It did make it to the South African 50th at Zwatcops Race Track the Sunday before leaving, and was in the running for the "favorite car" (in a group of somewhere around 350 to 400 real Minis) before Ryno pulled it from contention. He was one of the event organizers and didn't want any sense of favoritism to be claimed even though there were two independent judges doing all the judging.
                There's more to the story, but we started over on day two with Ryno's Ford bakkie (that's pickup for you non-Afrikans speakers) and his 03 Cooper S; were able to cancel the day one lodging arragements, and did the day one and day two drive all on the 2nd day.
                Yesterday we made it to Cape Town, if you're following along in your play book, and were greated by 17 Cape Town Minis. Today and tomorrow we're staying in Cape Town (at Ryno's daughter's house), recharging batteries, and doing some sight seeing. Went to the top of Table Mountain today and hit a clear day. It is as I remembered it: one of the most beautiful sights anywhere.

Comment

That's a shame about the cars. Guess you'll have to console yourself with all that South African scenery.

Regards to Ryno and Ella. Keep us posted, Chuck.

Dan
                  Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Internet access, at least for any length of time, has been all but impossile, but I'll try to send some photos on to you, Dan, if you'll post them for me. Most likely I'll have a little time tomorrow late afternoon or evening. (I'm 9 hours ahead of PDST.) If not then, it might be a few weeks!

Comment

We understand you aren't going to be whipping into the parking lot of the local Holiday Inn and cadging their wi-fi, Chuck, but if you can e-mail me photos, I'll be happy to post 'em.

Dan
                      Dan

Comment

Not really Mini, but related (that's a clue), so for the one or two of you for which it might mean something, I got to drive an Ant today.

Comment

Now that's cool!
                          My Mini is plastic.

Comment

The around Africa trip finished today. Hope to get more and better Internet time early next week.
                            Home on the 28th. Probably will take a week to recover. As Ryno keeps telling me, Africa is not for sissies"!

Comment

Made it home yesterday. 42 hours without sleep and a missed connection in Atlanta. 13 hours sleep last night, but still feeling like I'm somewhere over the Atlantic.
                              Will get a few morephotos to Dan for posting on the other thread and then will put them all together for Tim for the flickr site.

Comment

Working...
                              X