Been driving the Mini in the snow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been driving the Mini in the snow...

Only got stuck twice. Once at a stop sign right by our house... rocked it out and got free though. Out on the road it does pretty well though. Tonight after work, I tried to rock it out of its parking spot, but it was pretty well submerged. Had to shovel the parking lot and get a push to get going, lol. Overall, she's a trooper and I am rather impressed.

Hope everyone is safe and warm.

Happy Holidays

I thought about taking mine out, but my tires don't do all the well in the rain, so I figured snow would be worse. Pull the parking brake, crank the wheel, and have some fun.

Comment

The Three Miniketeers (Jim, Chris and I) have some stories we could tell! Used to enjoy the challenges of the snow. But that was before every idiot with a driver's license started buying SUVs and thinking they could drive in the snow. Don't like playing bumper cars so the Minis stay home until the roads are more easily driven.
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Any such thing as 10" studded snow tires anymore?
        Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
        1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

I think you can still get them out of Canada, but snow tires will not stop the other guy from sliding into you.

I will say, my Range Rover is comming in quite handy.
          "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
          ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
          '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
          '60 Morris Van - Marvan
          '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Hey!

I just wish TiniWag could make it down Chucks Driveway!

Comment

Down is easy. That's where TiniWag is. It's getting it UP the driveway that's the hard part...and it snowed, again, last night.
              It doesn't help that the street crews came along and attempted to plow 80th in front of the house. That just doubled the snow depth at both driveway entrances effectively blocking me in.
              I'm sure TiniWag is looking forward to scampering back to So Cal!
              The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

No Dough till it goes....

Arrrgggh! No funds until the wheels hit the transporter. I may be at your door step with quick melt and a really long block & tackle!

Comment

Replacing it with something else?

Comment

Not Just Yet...

Sad to say no. But I can't go long with out some kind of fun car.

Thinking about doing a 914 Porsche with a Subbie WRX motor. One of the few vintage cars that could rival the Mini in Autocross back in the day. All it takes is money.

I, of course, would need some kind of Mini parts mobile. I used to have a '73 NZ with a 998. Came with a spare door and free rust. I learned to weld on that thing. Something cheap and fun. A beater, but clean and neat!

Comment

Just a reminder to all of you who have been driving your Mini in the show. WSDOT as well as everyone else but Seattle have been using lots and lots of salt on the roads to keep them somewhat thawed out. Make sure that you get your Mini (and anything else you've been driving) into a car wash and get it de-salted.
                      I've been driving my Toyota 4X4 back and forth to work, there is so much salt on the sides that it is crystalizing all over the paint work. I can imagine what the underside looks like! So as soon as it starts thawing out and raining I'll be headed to the "quarter" car wash.
                      Skip

Comment

ah no wonder our roads have sucked so much around Renton, don't think they have been using salt. Haven't taken the Mini on the freeway just the backroads to work. Thanks for the heads up, I'll get under there asap anyways.

Comment

For the curious, here's some info the WSDOT de-icer product.
                          http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/anti.htm

Comment

They are still using salt and sand mix, at the Lakewood, Port Orchard, Port Angeles, Shelton WSDOT maintenance facilities as well as many others. The sand stock piles that they have were mixed with salt a long time ago, they cover and let them sit until they are needed.
                            So I cannot see them doing the change over that quickly. Plus we are in the middle of a huge budget crunch and are being told to use what stocks (of you name it) already on hand. So if your local maintenance has salt/sand mix on hand that's what they are using.
                            Unless you see them spraying the stuff out of a tanker truck you should assume that it is mostly salt.
                            The other thing that we were told is that the anti-icing brine was mainly going to be used on the passes this year, then spreading to other areas as they replace old stocks with the new stuff.
                            If it were me I think I would stay to the conservative side and figure that they are using salt.
                            Skip

Comment

i saw one of the new trucks in university place (west tacoma, snotty yuppies), but it's all the old mix out here in gig harbor, and i saw "morton's" on the bags they were using around tacoma.
                              Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Working...
                              X